Gransnet forums

Games

Towns, Villages in uk with funny names

(118 Posts)
angelic Tue 11-Jun-19 08:26:25

Time for a giggle

Scratchy Bottom

grandmac Wed 12-Jun-19 19:53:09

Ugley in Essex. There’s a sign there saying Ugley WI!!

grandmac Wed 12-Jun-19 19:54:24

I used to live near Pratt’s Bottom, Ham and Sandwich. Caused much mirth from my sister and I when younger.

Annapops Wed 12-Jun-19 20:28:17

Muggleswick and Deaf Hill, both County Durham. We also have a Quebec and Toronto nearby too.

MamaCaz Thu 13-Jun-19 09:59:00

Fools Nook on the Macclesfield Canal.

callgirl1 Tue 20-Aug-19 23:57:58

Jump, in Yorkshire
I can`t remember the village, but somewhere in Cornwall there`s a Squeezy Belly Alley.
And just outside Boston, at Sibsey, a lane has been renamed, used to be called Goosemuck Lane.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 21-Aug-19 00:34:22

We have Booby's bay, Skinner's Bottom and Minions in Cornwall

Not forgetting Brown Willy but that's a summit on Bodmin moor.

LullyDully Wed 21-Aug-19 07:46:12

I love the road sign to The Wallops. They are near Andover.

Amagran Thu 22-Aug-19 00:58:13

Near Shrewsbury there is a sign post to Cound and Harnage - I always think it looks like a spoonerism for Hound and Carnage.

Grandma2213 Thu 22-Aug-19 01:48:17

In a village near us there is 'Dick Lane'. When house hunting I decided not to buy a property for sale there!

TerriBull I bought a platform ticket from Llanfair PG station, when I lived near there many years ago, with the full name on it. It is a very long ticket and I am proud to say I can say it all!!

sweetonion Thu 22-Aug-19 04:32:35

Oh please you guys....I’m dying laughing! The best I can think of in Oregon (USA) is Boring, Oregon. But hey, I wish we had a Sandy Balls! Or a Cockup ( other than a president)

Pantglas1 Thu 22-Aug-19 06:18:00

Well done Terribull - only two mistakes in your Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch! I’ve known Welsh speakers get it wrong worse than that!

My DH worked on a building site in Penisarwaun, north Wales, and had the most difficult time ordering materials from suppliers over the border.

henetha Thu 22-Aug-19 10:03:59

There's a No Mans Land in Cornwall. Also an Indian Queen.

crazyH Thu 22-Aug-19 19:38:26

SHWT (in Wales)

Grannycool52 Thu 22-Aug-19 20:03:36

I live near Stillorgan.

BradfordLass72 Fri 23-Aug-19 06:28:25

Nice to see Indian Queens and London Apprentice featured on this thread - I lived quite near for many years.

Washaway Lane-end
Whyde-nan
Valley Truckle
Winnard's Perch
Sweethouse
Blue Anchor
Goonhaven
Playing Place
Praze-an-Beeble
Rose-an-Grouse
Greensplat (my sons used to think it was a good name for a place where cows lived)
Gweek
Summercourt (where they have a wonderful fair each year - or did when I lived there)
Bugle
Two-waters-foot
Doddycross
Portwrinkle

All old haunts of mine at one time....happy memories.

MiniMoon Fri 23-Aug-19 11:05:11

I live near Once Brewed with a pub nearby called Twice Brewed.
In Northumberland we have some good ones, these are villages.
Bareless
Cottonshopeburnfoot. (all one word).
Deadwater
Duddo
Glororum
Ogle
Sheepwash
Spittal,
That's just a few of them.

BradfordLass72 Sat 24-Aug-19 05:33:37

I used to live near Six Days Only. It was my favourite walk, down Shay Lane and through Heaton Woods, with my dog Fred when I was a teenager.

The name comes from a notice put up by a local cottager, who used to supply nettle beer for passing walkers but would not sell on Sundays.

Eventually it became a place name. The Jacobean farmhouse opposite had a lintel marked '1632'.

An old lady in these cottages still made ginger beer for sale when I was haunting the area.
It was sixpence a glass but she'd refill it for threpence. smile

Behind the cottages was a large market garden run (and maybe owned) by our next door neighbour, Mr Gudgeon, who also helped me start a garden at home and gave me many chrysanthemum corms and good advice about care of plants.

His wife was Welsh with such a strong accent that no one understood her and she seemed very lonely.
I always felt very sorry because, as Mum said, 'she won't mix' which meant she had no friends. sad