Gransnet forums

Games

Miss MaryDoll’s mischievous mathematical machinations ???

(42 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 14-Apr-20 07:59:42

Good morning all, here is today's fiendish (or not) question.

Sorry again, about the quality, trying to make them and change them into a jpeg for posting, doesn't always result in the best quality. sad

Hint: Remember there are 360 degrees in a circle.
Answers after dinner and I will try and post some small teasers during the day.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 14-Apr-20 12:39:13

Miss, I’m stuck. Thought it was 6 but can see other people’s answers?

Bathsheba Tue 14-Apr-20 12:44:00

Sorry Miss, I forgot we were back to school today blush. I haven't cheated Miss, honest, I've just looked at the puzzle and worked out the answer. Which is 7.5 I reckon.

Now I'm going to look back and see if there is another puzzle...

Bathsheba Tue 14-Apr-20 12:45:37

The answer to the second one is 9, because we've all got the same sister. And a mum and dad. So 6 boys, 1 girl, two grown ups wink

JenniferEccles Tue 14-Apr-20 12:45:54

7.5 and 9

Doodle Tue 14-Apr-20 12:59:59

Oops! Late again. Sorry Miss
As it’s a mischievous class today does that mean I can be naughty?

I will settle down now and do the questions without copying. Promise ?

Doodle Tue 14-Apr-20 13:08:16

Not looked at anyone’s which is probably why I make it 7 ½ and am probably completely wrong. ?

Doodle Tue 14-Apr-20 13:10:54

Number two I make 9 including parents.
Now I’m off to check what others have said.

Doodle Tue 14-Apr-20 13:12:35

Miss, Miss, callistemon’s been eating chocolates in class ?

Doodle Tue 14-Apr-20 13:14:37

squiffy when are you bringing your dog in again? ?

Squiffy Tue 14-Apr-20 13:21:55

When it's house-trained Doodle! blush

Doodle Tue 14-Apr-20 13:25:26

Oh yes ok. Good plan ?

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 13:58:26

Doodle stop telling tales to Miss.
Would you like one? Just the one, mind!
You can pss them round to everyone.

willa45 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:43:25

Here and ready for action!

Busy day on the phone yesterday. Someone we know died of Coronavirus over the weekend. A very sweet man in his eighties. He contracted the virus in February, while in hospital recovering from pneumonia of all things..., so the poor man never even had a chance.
The family is devastated because they can't get him back for a proper burial or funeral service. There will be a virtual prayer vigil and a candle lighting tomorrow. Anyway, we got the news yesterday and I didn't have the will to do much of anything.

So, to the problems at hand:

Clock - At 3:15, the Minute hand will be at 90 degrees and the Hour hand at 97.5 degrees, the difference is 7.5 degrees

Answer: 7.5 degrees

Some younger people don't even know how to tell time. They have to look at their cell phone....which reminds me of a joke about two Millenials trapped in a (vintage) lift with only a rotary phone for emergencies. They couldn't call for help because the instructions for use were written in cursive! grin

Family puzzle:
There are 9

Marydoll Tue 14-Apr-20 18:49:42

Oh Wila, thank goodness you are here. We were worried, when you weren't posting.

I was about to post the solution, but as always, you have come up trumps!

What sad news for you. A virtual hug is on it's way. It's hard enough, without actually knowing someone who has dided from the virus. ?

Marydoll Tue 14-Apr-20 18:53:17

ANSWER: 7.5 degrees.

EXPLANATION: When it is 3:15, the hour hand will be on the 3 while the minute hand will be one quarter of the way from the 3 to the 4 (since a quarter of an hour has passed). There are 360 degrees in a circle and 12 numbers on the clock therefore there are 30 degrees between the 3 and the 4. With the hour hand a quarter of the way between the 3 and 4 and the minute hand exactly on the 3, the two hands are separated by 30/4 = 7.5 degrees.

I think Wila's is a far easier solution to understand. smile

Answer: 9.
Two parents, six sons, and one daughter. All of them have one sister (not six sisters).

Thanks all for giving it a go. See you all tomorrow.

Doodle Tue 14-Apr-20 19:07:51

Glad you came in Willa it means I’m not last in most days. Sorry you have lost someone to this virus. Take care