Gransnet forums

Games

❓?Ask a Question etc etc? 7️⃣

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 04-Aug-22 07:24:45

Hello! ?

By my reckoning, this thread will see us through until we are near to C********!

SachaMac’s question was ‘if you could travel back to any time or place for one day, where / when would it be’?

I’m still mulling it over…

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 15-Aug-22 08:16:07

For young children the countryside must be very pleasant but I'd think that many teenagers need the stimulation and facilities that only a city can provide.

Where did you grow up? I was in a midlands town which would nowadays be called suburbia.

DanniRae Mon 15-Aug-22 08:26:33

From the age of 4 to 16 I grew up on a brand new council estate in Surrey. Beyond our garden was a grassy field then a stream and then another grassy field. Nearby was a swing park. Of course the sun sunshine was always shining and my friends and I spent all day out playing. Happy days indeed.

What is your happiest childhood memory?

MrsKen33 Mon 15-Aug-22 09:27:34

Similar childhood I think. Bluebell woods and streams near. But I do remember, aged 10 being called into the headteacher’s office. She gave me a letter which I had to take home straight away. So I was allowed out of school and walked home.It was a letter offering me a place at grammar school. The first time I ever truly pleased my mother. I was so happy

Do you remember the birthdays of people you loved, who are now dead?

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Aug-22 09:44:30

Oh yes. And old friends etc. Everyone really!

Favourite cake?
And do you bake?

HowVeryDareYou Mon 15-Aug-22 10:00:59

birthday cake
Not very often

Favourite flowers?

travelsafar Mon 15-Aug-22 10:18:22

My favorite flowers are daffodils, so bright and cheerful and heralding the start of lighter evenings and warmer days to come.

Do you want to go abroad again for holidays??

henetha Mon 15-Aug-22 10:36:19

Oh Yes, definitely. Whether or not I can find the energy, or the money, is hard to say. But I really do want to. I've always had itchy feet.

Thunderstorms are forecast. Are you scared of thunder? (I'm nervous of the lightning). Or are you one of these brave people who goes out and relishes the storm?

MrsKen33 Mon 15-Aug-22 11:03:54

I might go and stand naked in the garden if it rains ……No not really ,I would frighten the dogs next door

Just been listening to Elgar.
Do you like classical music and who is your favourite composer?

AGAA4 Mon 15-Aug-22 11:37:30

Yes I enjoy classical music but like different composers.

What do you do on rainy days? I usually catch up on jobs I have put off doing.

biglouis Mon 15-Aug-22 12:38:44

I rarely go out (mobility issues) so rainy days are no different from any other for me.

Are you glad the hot weather is broken?

Its grey where I live and a lot cooler. Really glad because I am going out to see my nephew tonight. I could not have coped with going out in that heat.

SachaMac Mon 15-Aug-22 16:19:33

I’d say in between the two, possibly a small town or village on the edge of the countryside but not ridiculously far from the nearest city. I think I’d have hated being stuck completely out in the wilds as a child.

Do you batch cook, pickle or make jam etc if you have a glut of fruit or veg.

Mollygo Mon 15-Aug-22 18:24:16

Plum jam yes, but we didn’t have enough to do that this year. Tomatoes yes.
I did try caramelised onion relish, but it didn’t taste as good as my BiL’s production so now I just pass the onions in to him.

Has your garden suffered from the drought?

travelsafar Mon 15-Aug-22 23:45:01

Yes it has, my lawn looks dead!!!

Are you worried about energy bills in the future ?

hollysteers Tue 16-Aug-22 09:31:38

Yes, although I’m not financially in a bad way. I’m not gifted in a practical money minded way and am fearful of being wasteful.

When flying, what’s the worst landing you have experienced?
(Madeira?)

henetha Tue 16-Aug-22 10:20:28

Las Vegas, definitely. The plane comes in over the mountains and has to lose height and swerve to the left (or something!) very quickly. My granddaughter was with me. We were both terrified.

Are you looking forward to September, autumn setting in, darker evenings, cooler days?

MrsKen33 Tue 16-Aug-22 10:31:39

Yes I think so. I always like a change.

Are you getting ready for colder days.? I am just finishing a second jumper and have ordered some more thermal underwear for me and DH

biglouis Tue 16-Aug-22 11:53:11

Im trying not to think about the colder days because I am arthritic so I have to keep warm. I did look out a big furry poncho that I can pull on over the rest when I go about the house. If it became necessary I would cut down on food and buy cheaper "own brand" stuff rather than go without heating.

Have you had any rain yet in your part of the country?

We were forecast storms yesterday and today but they still havn't materialised. However the air is a lot cooler and fresher.

AGAA4 Tue 16-Aug-22 15:26:28

Yes. I have been soaked twice now while out walking but really happy to see the rain.

Are you making preparations for what could be a difficult winter?

ginny Tue 16-Aug-22 22:44:01

Just to make sure we are not wasting energy but we try not to do that anyway. Maybe an extra layer of clothes and a blanket in the evenings.

I broke a glass this evening. What was the last thing you broke ?

HowVeryDareYou Tue 16-Aug-22 23:05:12

I broke a small glass dish recently.

What was the last thing (apart from groceries) you bought?
I bought some compression socks (very glamourous)

DanniRae Wed 17-Aug-22 07:14:14

I bought a pack of 2 pull-on bras. Worn white one and it was ok for most of the day.

How are you trying to save water? I am doing larger washes - quicker showers and this one horrified my daughter when she was here - not pulling the chain every time we have a wee!

DanniRae Wed 17-Aug-22 07:16:32

(Along the lines of: If it's yellow let it mellow and if it's brown wash it down - I told her this rhyme and she was still horrified!)

FannyCornforth Wed 17-Aug-22 07:32:58

No, I’m not doing anything differently. I don’t think that I am / was especially wasteful with water

Where are you? What can you see?

PoppyFlower Wed 17-Aug-22 07:33:23

Shallow baths, excess water from washing up bowl goes in garden for the plants! Not a lot but its something!

Do you have a favourite picture/painting in your house? What does it depict and why do you like it?

PoppyFlower Wed 17-Aug-22 07:35:39

Oops, just posted same time as FannyCornforth! I'll answer yours..

I'm at my breakfast table and can see every thing in the garden thoroughly soaked with rain st last. Wonderful! All the colours have illuminated!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion