Gransnet forums

Gardening

Basil outside in England?

(16 Posts)
pompa Sat 11-Jun-11 09:38:22

Just bought a pot of basil from Tesco, split it and planted in a 10" pot in greenhouse, will put outside in a sunny sheltered spot next week.

Sook Sat 11-Jun-11 09:07:32

Can't grow Basil for love nor money., inside or out.. (South Cheshire)

tjspompa Tue 17-May-11 17:13:07

I grow basil in a hanging basket every year, but wait until June before putting it out.

CatherineHGransnet Thu 12-May-11 14:54:39

In case you hadn't spotted it - we've just published some new gardening features in our Gardening section, including a piece on growing herbs.

lionlilac Thu 12-May-11 13:37:39

Through ignorance I planted coriander and basil out in large pots three weeks ago. Fortunately they are thriving and growing in abundance. I live in the West Midlands

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 11-May-11 17:37:32

My coriander seeds are growing like mad, and are quite happy outside. But my basil is still very slow growing, even though it's been inside for a few days now. I suppose it reflects the need for Mediterranean sunshine!

gma Wed 11-May-11 16:13:47

Here in Norfolk I grow basil in the greenhouse, and on the kitchen/conservatory windowsill, although sometimes it gets the 'fly'. Outside next to a sunny sheltered wall is good. Not too much water though, Mediterranean conditions if possible!!!! Good Luck Hat11!!!

Georgette Sat 07-May-11 09:44:43

I have basil, rocket, parsley and spinach growing on my windowsill from seed. The spinach, after three weeks, is already giving me leaves for my salad. I will use them until they run out of steam, by which time I hope the weather will be good enough to plant what is left out into the garden and hope for a second show of leaves.

lucid Fri 06-May-11 20:36:38

I grow basil outside during the summer months....it's a bit too early to put it out just yet. To keep the slugs and snails off your pots...rub a layer of vaseline around the outside of the pot and 'plant' a spent battery or two inside (doesn't harm the plant just gives the little blighters a nasty shock!) smile

Clematis Fri 06-May-11 11:17:41

I grow it outside every year - thrives. Give t a go from seed, its certainly cheaper than buying fresh from the shops!smile

RedRidingHood Thu 05-May-11 18:55:04

It's one of the few things I think really prefers to be inside. I've tried several times to grow it (in Lincolnshire ) and it never thrives outside.

Lancashirelass Thu 05-May-11 15:17:19

Basil and coriander will certainly grow outside, even here in North Shropshire, but it is still a bit early - too cold, and days not long enough I guess.

They do like sunny window sills,though, and look and smell nice enough to be considered part of the decor.

Good luck!

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 05-May-11 13:34:43

I've had my seedlings outside for some time now, along with the coriander ones. The basil seedlings are growing noticeably slower than the coriander though, so I've brought half of them inside to see if they will fare better.

My key issue is keeping the slugs and snails off them though - they love them!

Angie Thu 05-May-11 13:28:08

I planted some outside this weekend so fingers crossed it'll be ok

alfiedog Mon 18-Apr-11 19:19:56

Don't give up - we grow it every year in pots on the patio in the West Country.

Hat11 Sun 10-Apr-11 21:11:22

Is it possible? A friend of mine grows pots and pots of it in her conservatory but I don't have a conservatory and I've tried growing it outside but it always died. Should I just give up?