Gransnet forums

Gardening

Winter cometh

(248 Posts)
Bags Tue 16-Oct-12 09:21:14

Snow on the hills across the loch to the north.
Leaves, all colours, a-falling all around me.

broomsticks Thu 14-Feb-13 21:33:54

There's snowbody there at all now. smile

Butty Thu 14-Feb-13 17:55:43

I like that, broom. smile

Has the spy disappeared now?

j08 Thu 14-Feb-13 15:37:31

broomsticks smile

broomsticks Thu 14-Feb-13 15:34:55

Snowman and snow dog in the garden,
Half thawed, his hat slips over his face and his scarf rides up
He's a snow spy now, the grandson suggests.

Bags Wed 13-Feb-13 11:41:13

Diff locks on to give us maximum engine breaking,
We move down the steep, snowy hill at a snail's pace.
Drive round the loch slowly but surely in
Good  old Rattletrap.
Brush the snow off him again after the dentist
And drop DD off at a snowy school.

Snow ploughs are out, and gritters,
And breakdown trucks,
And police helping people whose cars
Don't like snow.

On the way home, tide-turned,
I notice sea snow slush
Where snow on the beaches is caught up
And swirled in the waves,
And back home the garden
Looks more wintery and snowy than ever,
With tree branches drooping under snow-weight.

Glad to be home.

broomsticks Mon 28-Jan-13 15:28:03

The drive was fine. We've just got home again and it is hurling it down ( and I mean hurling it down!) with rain. Oh joy.

Ariadne Thu 24-Jan-13 18:22:39

Well, I got a call from DH this afternoon; a clear, trouble free drive! Long may it last. Lovely here today (in case you haven't seen my euphoric posts!)

broomsticks Thu 24-Jan-13 17:35:14

Yes, I think definitely an early start. Wish us luck.

JessM Thu 24-Jan-13 17:31:14

Extreme weather warnings for late Friday broomsticks so maybe an early start?

broomsticks Thu 24-Jan-13 17:13:54

Lots of snow up here. We're driving down to Oxford tomorrow and there is supposed to be a blizzard. That'll be nice. hmm

Ariadne Wed 23-Jan-13 14:48:14

Of course, there's the drive up from here (Bideford) to consider too. There is absolutely no snow here, but a little further inland there is. All very confusing. For me, that is.

annodomini Wed 23-Jan-13 14:40:39

Such snow as we've had has mostly vanished though still cold and dreich with the odd desultory snow flake drifting down.

annodomini Wed 23-Jan-13 14:40:14

Such snow as we've had has mostly vanished though still cold and dreich with the odd desultory snow flake drifting down.

Ariadne Wed 23-Jan-13 13:56:54

Thanks!

Tegan Wed 23-Jan-13 13:52:12

Snow has eased off now. The S.O. might be heading towards Loughborough today so I'll ask him tonight.

Ariadne Wed 23-Jan-13 13:49:05

DH is supposed to be driving to Loughborough tomorrow. He is always an optimist about weather (though not anything else!) I, of course, worry. So any updates would be most welcome. Not that he'll listen....smile

soop Wed 23-Jan-13 13:28:40

Bright sunshine, little breeze, still snow-less in Kintyre. My friend, who lives in Plymouth, has a very different story to tell. hmm

Kali Wed 23-Jan-13 13:24:32

We are still deep in snow here and more forecast.

Kali Wed 23-Jan-13 13:23:54

jeni we live near somewhere that flies eagles and other birds on a regular basis. My chicks are used to diving for cover when a large shadow looms.

Tegan Wed 23-Jan-13 13:21:06

No, Derby/Nottingham border. I understand that Birmingham has been hit quite hard over the past week. We always though we didn't get snow here because of all the power stations warming the air, but some of them have gone now and I don't think even the power stations would have stopped this lot.

Nonu Wed 23-Jan-13 13:15:04

Tegan , East Midlands ? is that near Bournville ? We arrived back yesterday after a visit to DD and family .

They had quite heavy snow for about three days on and off . School closed Friday and monday which was great for us all , more time with nips .
Snowballing , sledging , great !!!

Tegan Wed 23-Jan-13 12:58:45

Snowing heavily again here [East Midlands]. Better put the bird food out [only just got up blush].

jeni Wed 23-Jan-13 12:35:49

confused

Kali Wed 23-Jan-13 12:06:29

A vulture has just flown over our garden grin

soop Wed 23-Jan-13 11:39:20

Yes! Crows are noisy "racketeers" Bags. Herons have unfaultering patience...a bit like our Rory. He went on a brief walkabout two nights ago. Mr soop went out in the car [looking for him]! When at last he sauntered through the door, [Rory, not Mr soop] he made our day by PURRING. This is the same cat that, not so long ago, growled at the postman...