Gransnet forums

Gardening

Mowing lawn.

(10 Posts)
HUNTERF Wed 03-Apr-13 11:25:34

My lawn looks reasonably dry at the moment but we had a heavy frost this morning and it looks as if it will be freezing for the next few nights.
Would it be wise to mow it this afternoon?.

Frank

gracesmum Wed 03-Apr-13 12:00:52

I would be tempted to wait until the weekend, Frank. There is a risk of snow I believe and then it chould warm up a bit.
We had ours cut (as we are very poshgrin) 3 weeks ago and I'm glad we did as it hasn't been fit to cut since then

Bags Wed 03-Apr-13 12:08:36

We have cut various bits of ours. First mowing in late February. We have to take advantage of dry weather, frost or no frost. I've just mowed and strimmed the front terrace. It is very dry for here, as it was the first spring we were here: 2007.

tanith Wed 03-Apr-13 12:14:04

I cut mine last week , just took the first opportunity of a bit of sunshine, mine is also unusually dry , normally parts of it would be boggy but its all quite firm and dry.. looks so much nicer now..I'd go ahead if it were me..

Galen Wed 03-Apr-13 12:14:23

Gary cut mine about 3weeks ago.i expect he'll do it again next week

Stansgran Wed 03-Apr-13 12:32:56

We've had one cut two weeks ago but we're still raking moss out. 13bags so far. I think the record was 32 but will lose interest soon.i use the word we loosely as I refuse to rake moss it's nice and green and the birds make exquisite nests with it.

ninathenana Wed 03-Apr-13 15:30:42

DH does casual work for a professional garden maintenance guy. They have been cutting lawns for a week or two. We're in SE.

jeanie99 Sat 04-May-13 09:12:30

You are so lucky you have lawns ours is mostly weed although it does look better when my husband cuts it.

annodomini Sat 04-May-13 10:30:39

I have no lawn - had my sloping garden terraced into paved areas and beds. Right now, I could probably mow the weeds. blush

kittylester Sat 04-May-13 15:11:31

Snap anno.

Our twice yearly lady is coming on Monday so hopefully it will look better and I will be enthused. hmm I suspect that she will have to make two visits this year to get it back under control. blush