Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hedges

(16 Posts)
HildaW Sun 12-Jan-14 17:44:29

A proper mixed one that reflects what grows well in the area. Just take a walk down the lanes and see what's doing well, hazel, dogrose, honeysuckle, hawthorn, etc etc. Any local tree/hedge expert worth their salt will be able to advise on the best 'mix'. We planted a mixed hedge in a previous house (took out some newly planted leylandii put in by previous owner). If 2-3 year old whips are used and planted at correct time they will soon flourish as will the local wildlife.

Galen Sun 12-Jan-14 15:15:24

Mine is beech, hawthorn,hazel and I've put a Rowan and a horse chestnut seedling at the ends,

Stansgran Sun 12-Jan-14 14:38:47

A schoolboy detected an ancient hedge in oxford I think. It might be worth googling to find the constituents to make a future hedge. I have hawthorn hedges interspersed with variegated hollies and grow honeysuckle. I also occasionally get wild sweet peas which I love.

Galen Sun 12-Jan-14 14:23:40

Not personally remember, read about it.
I'm not that old (yet)

Galen Sun 12-Jan-14 14:22:52

Isn't burning laurel mildly hallucigenic?
I seem to remeMber that the delphian oracle used to inhale it before prophesying
It's supposed to be sacred to Apollo.

JessM Sun 12-Jan-14 13:55:38

Galen you can't help lowering the tone and you grin grin
Laurel doesn't compost either if I am not mistaken.

Galen Sun 12-Jan-14 12:43:51

Always preferred Hardy to Laurel.

janerowena Sun 12-Jan-14 12:35:34

Not laurel though please! For her sake. We once had a very long one and it grew a good metre every year all around. We had to buy several of those huge builder's bags to hold all the clippings and then had to make several heavy and annoying trips to the tip, having a bonfire would have been horrendous with all that greenery.

Anniebach Sun 12-Jan-14 09:52:22

Sorry, forgot to say it's not a working farm . I love your suggestions, yes she needs a hedgerow not 'a hedge' . The previous owner ignored the grounds so there is much to be done . Thank you all.

Rowantree Sat 11-Jan-14 19:08:12

How lovely - and I love the suggestions from aka and JessM to go native. I'd also add a spindle - lovely autumn leaf colour, and some clematis vitalba growing through the lot - it gives those pretty, fluffy seedheads you see in the hedgerows at this time of year. Also some honeysuckle - again, food for wildlife smile

merlotgran Sat 11-Jan-14 15:57:43

There are grants available to replace native hedgerows on farms. We planted one about 100yds 14 years ago and it only cost £50. There was a good mix of hawthorn, blackthorn, guelder rose etc., and it is now a lovely thick hedge which we pay someone to cut with a tractor and hedgetrimmer once a year.

JessM Sat 11-Jan-14 15:47:42

Laurel aspires to grow into huge bushes that need controlling. Also you just get that solid dark green shiny effect - not pretty.
I agree with aka go for a native hedgerow. My choice would be: hawthorn and blackthorn, (lovely white blossom in the spring, autumn berries / sloes and they are spiny to keep livestock/intruders in their place) with possibly a few field maples to give that lovely butter colour in autumn. There three species all form dense hedges easily. I would slip in a wild rose because they are so lovely. Maybe field rose rather than dog rose as they don't grow so enthusiastically
Or if she wants something "tamer" Rosa rugosa forms a dense and extremely spiny hedge with gorgeous highly scented huge single roses in early summer and giant hips plus red and orange leaf colour in the autumn. They are available in pink or white and don't seem to grow too fast.

Aka Sat 11-Jan-14 15:17:09

If she has a stretch of 40 metres why not include a few trees too and choose a mixture of hedging trees and shrubs; birch, beech, oak, hazel, dogwoods and hawthorn are ideal.

Elegran Sat 11-Jan-14 14:40:59

Laurel may be poisonous to cattle munching the other side of it.
We planted hawthorn, crabapple and nut trees against a wire fence, which matured nicely and provided food for wildlife.

annodomini Sat 11-Jan-14 14:36:58

If I was planting a new hedge, I'd go for beech, though if I wanted an evergreen one, I think yew would be my preference. Hawthorn makes a good show in the spring. I wouldn't contemplate privet ever again - so boring!

Anniebach Sat 11-Jan-14 14:02:50

My daughter has bought a farm house, lot of ground. They have had a firm in to fence off, keep the dogs from straying . There is a stretch of 40 metres of fencing they want to hid with a hedge , she loves laurel, would this be too thick and what care would it need please . Or any suggestions of hedging would be so appreciated