Planting out.

(10 Posts)
loopylou Mon 27-Apr-15 18:52:27

Nor me Petra - as you may have already guessed grin

petra Mon 27-Apr-15 18:45:32

Thanks everyone. I just have to be patient, which I'm afraid I'm not :-(

loopylou Mon 27-Apr-15 17:14:59

I've never hardened plants off and somehow got away with it [ hmm ]

I do, however leave cold greenhouse door open by day and only close it at night if forecast is windy or severe frost. Penstemmon and Lupins are pretty tough (I planted my Penstemmon in the garden last week after they spent the winter outside in small pots), slugs are the main problem with Lupins.
Petunias I assume are the least hardy if your plants so I'd wait until mid/end May I think, unless forecast is for warm weather.
Incidentally I live on high, exposed ground in north Wiltshire.

janerowena Mon 27-Apr-15 17:02:48

Down there, I would take them outside every day for two or three weeks, only leave them outside for the nights when it says it is going to be above about 10C in case they get it wrong. If you can get hold of some horticultural fleece to lay over them for the final week at night, they should be fine to plant out. Mid May was my time for outside planting down there.

Teetime Mon 27-Apr-15 15:40:32

I have planted out some geraniums, pansies and antirrhinums in my south facing graden - they seem OK. Hi petra I worked in Southend for some time the climate seems Ok for gardening doesn't it- bit warmer and dryer than here in the East Midlands.

rosesarered Mon 27-Apr-15 14:12:53

Don't plant before risk of frost is over, the Middle of May is usually a good time.

J52 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:46:03

I'd just put them out in the daytime, but beware of slugs!

I'm putting out my larger lupins, sown last summer, to harden off, but covering them in fleece at night. Unless it is going to be a frost, then they're back inside! x

tanith Mon 27-Apr-15 12:43:13

Don't leave them out overnight they need protection till the frosts are over.. Just leave them out in the daytime and protect them overnight

Tegan Mon 27-Apr-15 12:38:50

I'm no expert on gardening but I always try to wait till the start of June to plant things out. Bought lots of plants from a garden centre many years ago and the guy behind me in the queue warned me not to plant any of it out for ages; I'd assumed that, as the plants were on sale they were ready for planting out. I might risk putting some bacupa out as that often lasts through the winter anyway so might be quite hardy. Planning to get some 'diascia' to put in tubs; never heard of it before but it was on sale on the shopping channel the other day.

petra Mon 27-Apr-15 11:20:14

I've never had a shed before so never had the opportunity to buy plug plants.
So, the lupins, penstemons, petunias are now about 6/8 inches high.
I live in the southeast corner (East of Southend) it's a very dry warm area.
Today I have taken them out of the shed to start hardening them off. Will they be ok? and how long do I harden them of for before planting in beds.