Gransnet forums

Gardening

Sweet pea advice required

(25 Posts)
Linsco56 Sat 11-Jun-16 18:32:57

Hoping some green fingered people can help me. I have been growing my sweet peas in pots this year as we have a honey fungus problem in the garden soil. Problem is, the SPs which I'm growing up a net attached to a fence are performing very poorly whereas the same batch are growing very well up a climbing frame in another pot. All were planted at the same time in the same type of compost and get the same amount of water/feed. Any advice welcomed.

tanith Sat 11-Jun-16 18:46:36

Could they be in a less sunny position? I have mine in pots in full sun can't think of another reason.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 11-Jun-16 18:51:09

Are the fence ones in shallow containers? Sweet Peas need to put down deep roots.

tanith Sat 11-Jun-16 18:51:33

Just took a good look at your pics and notice that the ones near the fence are in a really shallow container that could be a reason. They do have long roots and need a deep pot.

Linsco56 Sat 11-Jun-16 18:56:04

Yes, the ones at the fence are in shallow containers and although it's a south facing garden the ones at the fence only get sun from one angle.

Linsco56 Sat 11-Jun-16 18:59:00

I can always buy some deeper pots but goodness knows how I'm going to transfer them as some of the peas have already attached themselves to the netting and I know they don't take kindly to being tampered with. sad

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 11-Jun-16 19:03:00

It's definitely the shallow containers. I would be ruthless. Get them out and replant in a deeper pot. Give them loads of water every day and they could well be ok.

Linsco56 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:13:56

You're right, think I will have to bite the bullet and transplant them into deeper pots tomorrow. At least we're getting some rain now as the garden is totally parched after 3 weeks of hot dry weather (not that I'm complaining). Thanks for the advice folks.

tanith Sat 11-Jun-16 19:21:30

I wouldn't disturb them from the fence just take the root ball out and replant the whole thing into a larger deeper pot. Keep them well watered. Good luck .

Linsco56 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:26:37

Thanks tanith I was thinking along the same lines.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 11-Jun-16 19:31:22

confused Will you get be able to get a deeper pot under them without uncurling the tendons from the fence? Won't they be slightly uncomfortable?

Good luck anyway.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 11-Jun-16 19:32:03

Or will you sink the deeper pot into the ground.

Am I overthinking this now?

Linsco56 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:34:47

jinglebells I've popped out into the rain to have a quick look and most of the large supporting tendons are attached further up but it's still going to be messy and tricky but will give it a try.

tanith Sat 11-Jun-16 19:39:53

Maybe you could unattached the net from the fence then reattach it higher up that way your SPs will be more comfy grin

Linsco56 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:47:26

I really really don't want to unattach and reattach the netting as it took quite a while to attach in the first place and a very sore thumb after pushing 50+ tacks into the fence. I don't mind a bit of extra expense and work to save the peas but will replant them into larger pots with the minimum of disturbance. Will let you know how it goes. smile

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 20:21:37

Does anyone know how to get them to germinate in the first place?

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 20:22:12

envy

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 11-Jun-16 20:25:37

I know you have to soak the seeds in water overnight to soften them. But it's far easier to buy a little pot of seedlings from the garden centre! (And very cheap)

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 20:41:46

I think DH did that.
Will have to buy the little plants.
I do like sweet peas. They remind me of my Dad, who always grew a lot and we used to have some indoors in a little vase.

Elegran Sat 11-Jun-16 21:24:45

I grew mine from seeds this time for the first time in years. I always used to do it this way.

What I do is to soak the seeds in water overnight. I pack cardboard toilet roll inners into one of the blue plastic deep mushroom containers from the supermarket (with a few holes in the bottom to let it drain.) and almost fill up with compost. Each drained seed goes into its own personal tube with compost on top covering the top of the tubes and filling the spaces. If there are more seeds than tubes, some can go into the gaps between.

I do this in October and keep them somewhere reasonably sheltered in the garden over winter. When I am ready to plant them, I bury each tube and plant in a deep enough hole - their roots hven't tangled up with each other, they are contained in the tubes.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 11-Jun-16 21:27:45

I got some little miniature ones this year. Don't need staking. Supposed to form clumps. They are very late though. Got them as plug plants.

annodomini Sat 11-Jun-16 21:31:28

I'll be very lucky if mine haven't been washed away by today's flood. sad

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 11-Jun-16 21:33:40

sad

They will perk up again Once they get a bit of sun.

Linsco56 Sun 12-Jun-16 17:39:31

I took your good advice and transferred them into 3 deeper pots....OH! they didn't like that one little bit. I though they would die on me but 2 hours and several waterings later and they've perked up. I'll give them plenty of tlc over the next few days and keep my fingers crossed.

tanith Sun 12-Jun-16 17:44:58

I'm sure they'll be happier fingers crossedsmile