Gransnet forums

Gardening

What to plant?

(53 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 08-Apr-17 10:07:34

I have two large iron tubs, would like evergreen , low and trailing ?

Anniebach Sat 08-Apr-17 10:09:24

Sorry forgot , they are in the north west so sun in afternoon but north wind

starbird Sat 08-Apr-17 10:44:30

Ivy sould grow well but a bit boring.

shysal Sat 08-Apr-17 11:05:51

You could plant them up with herbs, some of which could trail. Rosemary or sage would give height, scent and flowers in the centre, while some thymes have a trailing habit.

I love those bright green little conifers with ivy around the rim to trail. Completely labour free!

I am a great fan of the variegated ivies, Starbird, and add some to the edges of most of my containers. I have also planted it to soften the edges of steps. It is not a thug when contained or cut back occasionally.

Anniebach Sat 08-Apr-17 12:39:04

Thank you both , I do like the conifers and the ivy, this is what I will have , very little attention but pretty to look at

merlotgran Sat 08-Apr-17 12:43:59

Large iron tubs are very trendy Anniebach grin

There are lots of ornamental grasses that look good in containers in various shades of green/yellow/bronze/blue.

They go very well with conifers and variegated ivy.

Anniebach Sat 08-Apr-17 12:56:42

Merlotgran, they may be trendy but rather large and very heavy, birthday gift from younger daughter so must make them look as attractive as possible. I have never grown grasses, do they need a lot of trimming?

Iam64 Sat 08-Apr-17 13:20:48

Lavender is hardy

J52 Sat 08-Apr-17 13:54:18

Some rockery type plants, such as Creeping Jenny are ever green and trail. It has small yellow flowers and is quite hardy.

Nandalot Sat 08-Apr-17 14:02:06

Heuchera. I am obsessed with these at the moment. Such a wide variety of shades. Really easy too.

rosesarered Sat 08-Apr-17 14:12:26

ab we have that ( tubs) with the lime green fast growing conifer in the centre and variagated ivy, so easy and so hardy! smile

shysal Sat 08-Apr-17 15:04:39

Nandalot, I am also obsessed with Heuchera, they have beautiful coloured foliage all year round and have such wonderful names such as Purple Petticoats. I agree that would be a good choice for Anniebach.

Anniebach Sat 08-Apr-17 15:18:56

Oh dear, I have an urge to buy more tubs now , I want all which has been mentioned

Greyduster Sat 08-Apr-17 19:26:43

I am another who loves heucheras, though I only have three at the moment; Obsidian, Fire Chief and Midnight Rose, which is my favourite because of the hot pink speckles on the dark red leaves. I looks as if someone has flicked a paintbrush over it! But they come in a stunning array of colours now. Must buy some more now we have made a bit of extra space.

rosesarered Sat 08-Apr-17 19:38:26

Heucharas are lovely, I have two....I did have four but some are hardier than others.
Some like sun, some like shade and they are expensive to buy and slugs adore them!
Just a consideration for ab Wheras the conifer and ivy combo more or less take care of themselves and are very hardy.

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Apr-17 21:23:35

What about helibores? They have lush foliage and there are some lovely doubles around now and they're best in a tub as they hang their heads. Perhaps a small standard fuchsia in the centre to give height and flowers later in the year.

Penstemmon Sun 09-Apr-17 08:41:39

You could add layers of different bulbs for spring/summer to add colour too.

Anniebach Sun 09-Apr-17 09:57:26

Lots of lovely advice thank you all X

quizqueen Sun 09-Apr-17 11:02:51

Plant wild flowers to encourage bees and butterflies. No bees, no plants, no people!!!

Anniebach Sun 09-Apr-17 11:13:11

I love bees but so does my Dog who tries to catch them in her mouth

Esspee Sun 09-Apr-17 18:13:57

Love the choice of ivy and conifers. Look at the variety of colour combinations esp. in the variegated small leaf ivy, and conifers come in different colours, including variegated, glaucus and different habits like prostrate which adds interest. Make sure you buy dwarf varieties. Look forward to seeing the pics.smile

BlueBelle Sun 09-Apr-17 18:22:24

I detest ivy it escapes and get everywhere faster than the speed of light it's my real bugbear .....sorry off topic, tubs look lovely with hardy fuschias or trailing petunias or trailing busie Lizzie

Iam64 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:35:19

I'm not a fan of ivy because it tries to colonise my garden. Plus, the garden at the end of mine has both my pet hates, overgrown conifers and lots of ivy. The conifers blocked light and took the goodness from the soil - we agreed we'd pay to cut them back. Their situation doesn't affect our neighbours light so they don't care but as long as we pay, they're happy. smile The ivy clambers through the fencing, causing damage to that but worse, encouraging slugs and snails which creep in at night and eat my hosta's and other plants they find delicious. I've resorted to slug pellets which are allegedly pet and bird friendly, having exhausted all the more environmentally friendly options which had no impact on the invaders.

What about hostas, Annie? They love shade and mine all do brilliantly in pots. You can use the copper band around the middle of the pot which slugs and snails are unable to absail over. I like Pen's idea of layering the planting. Enjoy it, gardening in pots is a lovely pastime.

Greyduster Sun 09-Apr-17 18:43:29

Ooh yes! Hostas! Spot on Iam. Lots of different combinations of green and cream and perfect for tubs. Mine are just starting to sprout now and will last all through the summer and into the Autumn. And the slug tape really does work.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 09-Apr-17 19:16:38

Phormiums.The New Zealand flax.
I have two. Maori Sunset and Flamingo.The colours glow and look beautiful in pots.