Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garden fairy lights - on trend or naff?

(86 Posts)
shysal Tue 18-Jul-17 16:02:49

I am thinking of putting something with solar powered lights on a newish west-facing fence. I have planted climbers but it is rather bare at the moment. I have noticed lights in neighbouring gardens and like some of them. What do GNetters think? These are two of the options I am considering.

spyder08 Tue 18-Jul-17 16:05:41

Shysal. For what it's worth I have several strings of solar powered lights in the garden and I love them. Both of your choices are nice but I particularly like the butterfly

Ana Tue 18-Jul-17 16:05:46

Next door used to have some solar powered fairy lights outside but the light was so feeble you could hardly see them! Perhaps they've improved since then...

Nandalot Tue 18-Jul-17 16:23:40

I have some on the pergola. I bought two set one Christmas for the pots outside the front door. I thought they weren't working but later discovered the on switch! I like them on the pergola but have one set on static and one flashing. I must change the flashing one as it is very off-putting.

Luckygirl Tue 18-Jul-17 16:35:24

Our garden has a number of naff things in it, chosen by the GC who adore them: 3 little fairies (they all have names and woe betide anyone who moves them from their homes!), 3 gnomes whose hats light up, a stone cat, and assorted tortoises, guinea pigs etc. - and a squirrel with 4 broken legs - great for playing vets! They are hidden round the garden under bushes and the children love them all to bits.

The only downside of the solar ones is that when the days are sunny enough to power the lights, they are also long enough that the lights work only long after the children are in bed! In the winter there is barely enough light to get them going!

shysal Tue 18-Jul-17 16:50:53

I have a few garden ornaments already, including a metal Bengal cat, a metal robin, a wind catcher and several wooden carved cats. I also have a hideous concrete badger family which I hide behind some pots and only bring forward when the donor visits!

Luckygirl Tue 18-Jul-17 16:59:39

3 cheers for naff!!

whitewave Tue 18-Jul-17 17:05:05

I have a couple of Buddhas - presents, a solar powered duck -a present - a Puck statue asleep on a plinth - bought. Can't see most as hidden by foliage.

Auntieflo Tue 18-Jul-17 17:48:17

Shysal your garden looks lovely, I am green with envy. I think whatever you choose will be fine.

gillybob Tue 18-Jul-17 17:53:59

I have a few things in my garden that could be considered as naff, including lights around my shed (hijacked as a pirate hideout by the DGC) complete with a skull and crossbones on the door. I have various metal signs, a giant wind spinner and a metal bat high up in the tree. If these things bring you pleasure than why not?

Lona Tue 18-Jul-17 20:04:36

This is a very weather worn Patsy pig, who was originally sunbathing in a green thing bikini!

Lona Tue 18-Jul-17 20:04:54

Thong!!!

Imperfect27 Tue 18-Jul-17 20:16:28

Just this weekend, DH bought me three strings of LED stars which we now have running along the garden fence. I am really pleased with them - 'gold', rather than white light. the stars are small - only about an inch in diameter. They have brought a smile to me every evening so far. Not tacky - just lovely!

cornergran Tue 18-Jul-17 22:01:59

Is that a National Trust robin, shysal, if so we have three smile. We have white solar lights in bushes at each end of our garden, a few of those on stakes and some fence post lights. I love them. our grandchildren adore them, say it's like Christmas. If it were me I'd go for the butterfly. When you decide which you like the most go for it, why not?

Charleygirl Tue 18-Jul-17 22:20:53

I had solar lights in the rear garden and they were stolen. Whoever took them had to be fit because the fencing is 6 foot high. I have more but I am rather loathe to display them because I think that there maybe a repeat performance.

BlueBelle Tue 18-Jul-17 23:08:57

I had some solar lights that no longer come on Do they wear out after a while ? they used to light up for the best part of a year now no longer but I ll get some more I used to like seeing them at night twinkling when I got in bed If they re naff so be it I like them

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 23:29:13

DH has put some along the path - at least the fox/cats/hedgehog etc can see which way to go to do their business at night.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 23:31:05

That's what our garden is lacking - a wind catcher and a few more ornaments. I fancy two or three metal owls.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Jul-17 23:32:05

Three owls and I shall call them Sarah, Percy and Bill smile

kittylester Wed 19-Jul-17 07:30:28

I suspect that they are naff but I wish dh would agree to have some! grin

gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 07:46:53

Oh my DGC still love that book Jalima and know the words by heart. smile

Iam64 Wed 19-Jul-17 08:25:54

I call my garden extras 'kitch', rather tha 'naff'' ?. I have a life sized flamingo, a copper sun, several metal birds on poles that can be seen peeping through the foliage, wind chimes and more. Adding these nonsense items came along with retirement.
The solar lights died but shysal's question has prompted me to put them on my shopping list.

gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 08:36:02

I have been looking for a life size flamingo Iam64 soooooooo envy

Iam64 Wed 19-Jul-17 08:49:23

It appeared in my garden on the morning of my birthday, must have flown there,

silverlining48 Wed 19-Jul-17 08:54:42

I bought some solar lights this year and they are around a tree half way down the garden and look Very pretty. Well i think so anyway.