Gransnet forums

Gardening

Plants from eBay. Oh dear!

(11 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 03-Aug-18 20:31:24

On 20th July I ordered some Helenium 'Indian Summer' from a seller on eBay. If you bought three for £15 the p&p was free. I was told I would be informed when they were dispatched but that wasn't for another ten days.

I contacted the seller when they didn't turn up and was assured they'd be here today. They arrived but goodness knows how long they've been hanging around in transit because the box contained three sorry looking specimens. The only way they'll come to anything is to be potted on and cut back - to flower next year and that's not what I bought them for!

I'm still waiting for the supplier to answer two further messages. Fortunately eBay will step in if I don't get a satisfactory solution (like my money back)

I'm annoyed because I can't just let the plants die while I wait for a reply. They've revived now they've been watered but still look pathetic.

Shame because I've had some great plants from eBay in the past but I won't be dealing with this seller again.

Auntieflo Fri 03-Aug-18 20:51:38

How disappointing Merlot. At least you have put some life back into them. Here's hoping you get a refund, and here are some virtual ones flowers

Luckygirl Fri 03-Aug-18 21:10:01

I too have had some good plants from ebay - it may be the courier who is at fault. Hope you get your money back.

Squiffy Sat 04-Aug-18 08:26:22

It's so disappointing, isn't it? I've had the same happen with 'well known' companies, too. Hope eBay sorts it out for you, though that won't help with plants for this year.

shysal Sat 04-Aug-18 08:56:02

What a disappointment for you! I have had only good plants from Ebay. They are sometimes smaller than those sold in garden centres, but that is reflected in the price and always mentioned in the description. I hope you get satisfaction from the seller.
After this season I am going to change my veg plot into a flower/shrub circular bed. I plan to use Ebay plants to stock it to keep the cost down. I think I will do it in the autumn, after the heatwave is over, so hopefully they won't look like your sorry specimens.

Jane10 Sat 04-Aug-18 09:00:17

At least you can put some negative seller feedback to warn others.

J52 Sat 04-Aug-18 09:55:17

That’s dreadful. I wonder if they’re from the same source I recently bought from eBay?
I bought some Red Dragon Pericaria as I couldn’t get them elsewhere, sold out on line.
I knew they would be shoots, but they also did not turn up until I emailed the seller. There was no communication from him, but they did eventually turn up posted after I complained. They were almost invisible shoots. All doing well now after I repotted and cared for them.
I left neutral feedback he left no feedback for me! Says it all.
I won’t by plants from eBay again.

J52 Sat 04-Aug-18 09:55:42

*Persicaria

J52 Sat 04-Aug-18 09:56:21

*buy

merlotgran Sat 04-Aug-18 12:16:31

Good news. I've had a full refund from the seller. The condescending message on how to care for plants during hot weather made me laugh. Obviously he doesn't follow his own advice.

So, now I'll pot them on, cut them back and see what happens. They've been waterlogged at some time as there is no real root system but hopefully I'll have some flowering heleniums…..next year. grin

DillytheGardener Fri 07-Dec-18 21:38:25

Gosh they look pathetic, poor mites. I always end up buying the plants from the discount section that need some TLC as I feel sorry they'll never find a 'forever home'. Hope the seller refunds you, and you reap some results with those sorry specimens!