Gransnet forums

Gardening

Ideas for a gap in the border please.

(27 Posts)
Washerwoman Fri 17-Aug-18 16:19:02

When we moved several years ago we acquired a wide long bed running down most of our large garden that had absolutely nothing in it but daffodils and at the end nearest our patio a well established viburnum. We have gradually planted it out as a mainly perennial herbaceous border with heleniums,Echinacea,hardy geraniums etc.There's the odd carefully placed shrub as we brought some that had been in large containers from our last house.We started to realise that every spring for several weeks the viburnum was giving off a foul smell,and after research realised it was infested with a battle that's hard to eradicate.So we have pulled it out,leaving a gap about 2x2 metres to fill.As it's nearest the house and patio I'd like something evergreen,possibly scented and a bit of an architectural backdrop for perennials in front.I'm considering a fatsia japonica - never liked them much before but my tastes are changing !I've also seen a shrub called osmanthus burwoodii that apparently has scented flowers in spring.Does anyone have either of these.I want some height and structure but nothing too thuggish !Thanks.ps.its a semi shaded area due to next doors tree that gets sun in the afternoon and evening.

MiniMoon Fri 17-Aug-18 16:53:01

What about a dwarf lilac bush. My DH likes hollies we have several varieties in our shrub border. Ceanothus is also striking in the spring, but your spot might be a bit shaded for it.

merlotgran Fri 17-Aug-18 16:59:29

Osmanthus burkwoodii is lovely but very slow growing. We have Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn' just outside the kitchen window but is that the one you have just got rid of?

Some of the Daphnes are highly scented as well.

Telly Fri 17-Aug-18 19:22:25

I have just bought a paniculata hydrangea. Not evergreen but impressive flower heads, mine is pure white but you can get pinky tones too (Vanilla Fraise). Evergreen scented shurbs - Mexican orange blossom, (Choysia) is reliable and will fill your gap. Lovely fragrance too. We have one by the front door to welcome visitors. You could try myrtle - evergreen, scented and traditional Victorian bridal blossom.

lemongrove Fri 17-Aug-18 19:29:02

I would recommend the Choisya too, very fast to grow and a lovely scent and evergreen and very hardy.

FlexibleFriend Fri 17-Aug-18 19:55:14

I've got two fatsia's both are evergreen one is green and one is variegated. They were planted approximately the same time on different sides of the garden, the plain green one is twice the size of the variegated one. Neither is scented as for size you can keep them at whatever size you choose as cutting back does no harm what so ever. I also have two choisya one green and one lime green think it's called sundance, again easy to control, supposedly smell of pineapple but they smell of something but it's not pineapple.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Aug-18 20:02:02

Dwarf Daphne is a heavenly scented, beautiful shrub. It's worth it's weight in gold in any garden.

Washerwoman Fri 17-Aug-18 21:57:23

Thank you for all the ideas.I already have 2 caenothus in a another bed in the sunniest part of the garden.Choisya I know from our previous garden but had sort of forgotten about -so will research different types.Although not scented I'm quite drawn to the Fatsia for its sculptural leaves and Ive never grown one.Daphne I also like the idea of but as all the colours in the bed are strong ones like crosmia lucifer and rudebekia or splashes of white I would prefer not to have the pastel pink flowers. They are also expensive I've noticed and slow growing.So I think that's one for a large container near my door eventually. So it's Fatsia with it's unusual flowers in Autumn, or choisysia with white scented flowers earlier I'm thinking.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Aug-18 22:01:54

Dwarf Mock Orange (Philadelphus Virginal Mock Orange.)? Highly scented and white blossom?

janeainsworth Fri 17-Aug-18 22:12:57

I would put in a Camellia rather than a fatsia. Lots to choose from.
Slow growing and attractive foliage with flowers in spring. Don’t need pruning.
Though you’d need to give it a bit of Miracid if your soil isn’t acid.

FlexibleFriend Fri 17-Aug-18 22:15:14

Or Photinia red robin, no scent but lovely red leaves on new growth. I have quite a large one at the end of thegarden which can be seen from the house when everything is looking a bit bare, mine seems to do very well even though it's quite neglected (as in it gets very little attention)

janeainsworth Fri 17-Aug-18 22:15:19

Camellia donation doing its thing next to my patio?

shysal Sat 18-Aug-18 09:40:23

I agree with all of the above suggestions. My favourite of the new shrub plants that I have bought recently to make a new bed is Photinia Pink Crispy. It has pale variegated foliage and bright pink new shoots, just as attractive as flowers, and is evergreen. I hope you find something suitable for your gap.

shysal Sat 18-Aug-18 09:49:55

Sorry, just noticed your later post. Colour-wise the Photinia Red Robin would probable match better.

Washerwoman Sat 18-Aug-18 11:20:55

I've decided against Camelia,beautiful as they are our soil isn't acid and would rather plant something naturally suited, plus again the colour pallete thing.Philadelphus I like but not evergreen.Although no flowers Photinia whilst not a favourite may be a good bet and foil to other plants and there is one further down the border and I like a bit of repeat planting.If I opt for a non scented one I will plant out two large containers with something scented,as that's already a plan from a previous thread I posted re making my containers perennial rather than buying annual bedding plants.Will ponder for a few days-and give DH a break as he is nervously watching my on gardening sites and worrying how many more plants I plan to buy as were supposed to be on an economy drive !

winterwhite Sun 23-Sep-18 16:39:55

What a nice problem to have! I've found Choisya a bit thuggish in two gardens now. The purple-leaved berberis always look good, esp against crocosmia lucifer but I suppose might fight with your rudbeckias. Daphne a bit small? - but see you've decided against them anyway.

J52 Sun 23-Sep-18 16:59:00

I have an osmanthus it’s a lovely scented shrub and easily pruned after flowering. Next to it I have a Daphne, another good one. My Fatsia is in a large pot, as they can get very big, being originally jungle plants.
A little known perennial plant that has a lovely scent, grows small with grey green leaves is the perennial Stock.
I obtained one at a plant sale about six years ago and propagate by growing seedlings in case it dies!

Washerwoman Mon 24-Sep-18 19:44:22

Just caught up.I've ended up planting a Fatsia ,with a hosta a friend gave me as a gift so it will be more structural and leafy in that corner.I'm interested to hear that Berberis looking good with Crocasmia Lucifer -which I have a big clump of as a bit further down the bed another space has opened up due to me moving things around.Some lovely autumn colour would be good so putting that on my wish list.

lemongrove Mon 24-Sep-18 22:55:27

I have two Fatsia Japonicas washerwoman they are lovely shrubs and the leaves look great if you do any flower arranging.

Mamissimo Mon 24-Sep-18 23:10:19

Witch hazels are wonderful near a house and come in some interesting architectural styles?

mymadeupname Mon 24-Sep-18 23:35:57

Eleagnus pungens maculata, the sunshiny yellow variegated one which is beautifully scented in late summer and autumn.

seasider Tue 25-Sep-18 06:42:35

My favourite plants are Hellebores. I bought one last October that has flowered all year except for a couple of weeks in the very dry spell.

OldMeg Tue 25-Sep-18 07:37:15

Choisya. These are evergreen shrubs with delicious smelling white flowers in April to May. Sometimes they flower a second time in August to September. Mine in in flower now.

The leaves are aromatic too. They ate easy to prune and shape, as there are no thorns and the wood is very soft.

OldMeg Tue 25-Sep-18 07:38:54

Sorry just realised you’ve got something.

jeanie99 Mon 01-Oct-18 01:12:30

I have two Fatsia which I have growing in tubs. I consider then ornamental stand alone plant very good in the garden or as a patio plant, they flower at the end of the growing season.
I have a large Choisya in the garden which has white scented flowers in April/May time.
Both plants are easy to grow and are evergreen.
I love Hydrangeas they flower later in the season when other plants have finished flowering so great for the border at that time but they are deciduous.