Gransnet forums

Gardening

Identification please.

(14 Posts)
xxxbestgranxxx Wed 28-Nov-18 12:36:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tartlet Tue 27-Nov-18 20:50:04

So are mine. I love their glossy leaves and the way they reciver so well from the most severe pruning or frosts. I’ve pruned mine at various times of the year without any lasting damage. I’ve been eying up the one in the back garden for a going over the next dry day. I use loppers and just remove stems until I get it to the size I want.

pensionpat Tue 27-Nov-18 19:05:59

Popular with flower arrangers too. Mine is enormous.

andycameron69 Tue 27-Nov-18 19:00:58

yes a lovely plant, fatsia you can prune it with secateurs in later spring. nice leaves.

FlexibleFriend Thu 01-Nov-18 21:59:25

deffo fatsia japonica

gmelon Thu 01-Nov-18 21:51:49

Paper plant and castor oil plant seem to be different plants?

loopyloo Thu 01-Nov-18 20:01:16

Fatsia Japonica. Cut it back as much as you like.

BlueBelle Thu 01-Nov-18 18:46:11

Caster oil plant I cut it back all the time they grow massively

J52 Thu 01-Nov-18 18:27:13

I hack my large Fatsia with a saw! They’re very forgiving, but only do it in Spring or early summer.
They are jungle plants and grow towards the light, so the lower branches eventually become bald.
After pruning little sprouts of new leaf will appear.
I always think the flower globes are like golf balls.

gmelon Thu 01-Nov-18 17:51:33

Thanks folly22

gmelon Thu 01-Nov-18 17:50:33

shandi6570 I knew someone would know and quickly.
The flowers were like pine cones before they came out. It is a very attractive bush.
What do you use to trim or prune your one? Is secateurs or shears effective. I'd imagine a hedge trimmer too vicious.

shandi6570 Thu 01-Nov-18 17:27:51

It's a Fatsia Japonica, or commonly called a Paperplant. You can prune it, but I wouldn't do it now with the cold weather, I would leave it till spring/summer. However I'm no expert, I only know because we have one in our garden.

folly22 Thu 01-Nov-18 17:23:11

Could it be a mahonia? The leaves seem to suggest it might be. Even if it is, I’m not sure about trimming etc. as I haven’t actually got one in my garden, so maybe other GNs will have some advice.

gmelon Thu 01-Nov-18 17:15:42

Could anyone identify this bush please.
Isn't there an app I could use to identify the dozens of plants I'm in the dark about?
It's grown to over six feet tall and same across.
Should I get it trimmed? If so could you advise on the best way to do so.
I've some lovely thick gardening books but struggle to match up plant with picture.
Thank you. smile