Gransnet forums

Gardening

Signs of spring

(33 Posts)
farview Tue 08-Jan-19 12:11:28

Yes I know it's a while away yet but just seeing signs of life in the garden really cheers me.. green life pushing up through the soil ...daffodils,grape hyacinths,big buds on camelias,forget me not seedlings etc.. wonderful...?

MissAdventure Tue 08-Jan-19 12:14:50

I thought maybe we could get advice (at least, I can!) about what jobs to do, what to plant, and so on.

I could start by asking what I should be doing with my poor containers, which are full of bits and pieces from last year.

Should I cut them all right back?

Lisagran Tue 08-Jan-19 12:32:40

Lovely, isn’t it Farview - so cheering! Our snowdrops are just coming out now smile

J52 Tue 08-Jan-19 12:44:38

We’ve a lovely sunny day and the snowdrops are out, the hellebores are in bud.
I’d bide my time with the containers, cold winter weather is still possible and the old foliage is frost protection.

dustyangel Tue 08-Jan-19 13:03:24

I don’t know if this will be to small to show anything but every year the first signs of almond make me feel that spring is on its way. I took this with my phone on Saturday.

MissAdventure Tue 08-Jan-19 13:07:20

Thanks, j52.
I'll leave them for a while then.

Alima Tue 08-Jan-19 13:35:10

I didn’t like January not so long ago. Love it now, all the new life showing in the soil and on branches. The days are getting longer too, so love the light.

farview Tue 08-Jan-19 14:50:34

Yes I'd go with what j52 said..it's extra protection
Love the photos of the snowdrops the beautiful blossom
Alima yes the extra light already is brilliant..the birds are singing for longer now!

Teetime Tue 08-Jan-19 14:57:11

Lots of buds and bulbs coming up here in the East Midlands

Lisagran Tue 08-Jan-19 14:59:16

Lovely, Dustyangel smile

Grammaretto Tue 08-Jan-19 15:21:27

Hmm. Here everything is much later in Scotland.
There are viola and primula in pots at my door and a snapdragon which survived the winter looks as if it's about to flower. Are we 6mths ahead or behind?

Cherrytree59 Tue 08-Jan-19 15:27:38

The photos are a lovely sign of things to come.

Driving around a local roundabout yesterday I saw clumps of daisies growing happily in the grass.

Don't think I have ever seen daises this early on in the year.

Somehow I missed a white geranium when tiding up the garden last autumn, it is still flowering even though we have had the occasional frost.

The snowsdrops look lovely.
At the moment we have only some thin green snowdrop leaves, so finger crossed.

I am so looking forward to the spring bulbs, daffodils especially.sunshine

lemongrove Tue 08-Jan-19 15:29:33

We could still have very cold, freezing weather, ( voice of doom) grin but it is nice to see the bulbs pushing up and thinking of what we aim to do come Spring.Am looking forward to planting a whole new border and rockery section.

MiniMoon Tue 08-Jan-19 15:50:09

Not exactly spring, but I've just been out for a short walk, and there are daisies and dandelions flowering on the roadside.
Not quite right for January, is it?

Liz46 Tue 08-Jan-19 16:18:04

There are new leaves on our fuschia bushes but I think they will probably be killed off by a cold spell. One of the bushes still has big, pink flowers on from autumn.

MissAdventure Tue 08-Jan-19 16:23:13

Mine only stopped flowering a couple of weeks ago.

shysal Tue 08-Jan-19 17:38:31

I am delighted that I have snowdrops and self-sown primroses in flower. I have fuschias and osteospermum still flowering their socks off since last summer.

lemongrove Tue 08-Jan-19 18:11:32

Yes, we have had primroses out since early Dec.
No fuschias though, and certainly no daises or dandelions as yet.Plenty of buds on everything, far too early.?

oldbatty Tue 08-Jan-19 18:19:13

I love Spring and I love flowers but they are way too early.

BBbevan Tue 08-Jan-19 19:07:34

Daffodils and primroses out. Big buds on the Camellias and everywhere green shoots of more builds. I love this time of year. So full of anticipation and promise.

Chewbacca Tue 08-Jan-19 19:42:39

Lots of crocus, daffodils and muscaria bulbs showing shoots and today I've just noticed one solitary snowdrop that's popped it's wee head up. Also noticed that the clematis has green shoots already. Love this time of year because every day has a new surprise!

Hilltopgran Tue 08-Jan-19 22:42:37

I am at 1000ft on top of a hill in the Staffs Moorlands and there are very definate signs of spring! The Hazel is full of flowers (lambstails as we called them when young), Snowdrops, tiny Cyclamen a colourful picture, Hamonelis in flower with a lovely sent, Viola still flowering, a white Hellebore and a Camelia flower fully open. First Daffodils are about 6inches tall. So much hapoening that a cold blast will really knock back. But it was lovely to see it all in the sunshine today.

JackyB Tue 08-Jan-19 22:58:59

I don't think the daisies ever went away - we certainly had some on the lawn at Christmas.

farview Wed 09-Jan-19 21:28:25

..on my late afternoon dog walk I also noticed lots of dandelions and other weeds which would not normally be about in January... bizarre...

Fennel Thu 10-Jan-19 17:14:19

Walking back from the shops and looking in gardens I saw a pretty climbing bush with little white flowers outside one house. A lady came along and I spoke to her, turned out it was her house and her plant.
She said it was a winter flowering Jasmine: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasminum_polyanthum
And this was in the middle of a busy town.