Gransnet forums

Gardening

....the big tidy up

(46 Posts)
farview Mon 11-Feb-19 17:07:15

Made a proper start today .. pulling out dead foliage,trimming back, general tidying and sweeping up leaves...still lots to do and aching all over..but so enjoyed it...Robin as per followed me around looking for grubs...sun was shining...perfect... although had one eye on the farmer haha he seems to be moving house s sheep and I'm hoping that...much as I love cows...he doesn't put them in this field as they have trashed my garden a few times.. actually leaning over stock fence and mine and not just eating but completely uprooting my shrubs(neighbours shrubs also)
...anyone else getting stuck in yet? ???

MissAdventure Sun 24-Feb-19 23:45:24

I'd been looking at that site myself, because I would love a rose in a container this year.

I'm a bit nervous though that it won't like me and I will lose it.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Feb-19 23:20:05

I want them to be pink and highly scented, any suggestions from rose fans?
You're not the woman who randomly stopped me in a coffee shop a couple of weeks ago are you, lemongrove, and said 'you look as if you know about gardening and roses, which ones would you recommend?'

I know nothing!! grin

lemongrove Sun 24-Feb-19 19:55:42

I have browsed the site Merlot and think Gertrude Jekyll fits the bill, so will buy four, thanks for the link.?

merlotgran Sun 24-Feb-19 19:53:00

I too am looking for a scented pink climbing rose

To go against a wooden fence painted urban slate which is a dark grey.

I think I'll browse a few on this site.

kathsue Sun 24-Feb-19 19:50:33

I cut the lawn yesterday and cleared up some leaves. Today I dried two lines of washing and did some weeding. Had to water 2 plants in pots, we haven't had any rain here for a couple of weeks and they were dried out.

lemongrove Sun 24-Feb-19 19:43:26

Didn’t actually do any gardening today, but walked around earmarking jobs to do this week and planned a rustic obelisk, to grow climbing roses on ( not a rambler.)
I want them to be pink and highly scented, any suggestions from rose fans?

tanith Sun 24-Feb-19 18:53:09

I’ve got the lawn cut today lots and lots of moss. I’ve cut a hebe well back hope I haven’t overdone it. I’ve also planted some sweet peas in the garden shed not sure that will work it is early but hey ho.
So nice to get outside I sat and ate my prawn sandwich and an odd mince pie I found in the freezer left over from a Christmas batch. So warm and the birds were singing their hearts out.

Framilode Sun 24-Feb-19 16:25:49

Is it too early to prune my roses? They are growing like mad

Grammaretto Sun 24-Feb-19 16:17:15

Our lawn is mostly moss Jalima1108 the birds love it for their nests but it will never win prizes in beautiful garden comps.
We have a carpet of snowdrops and crocuses amongst the moss.
I have just filled a sizeable sack with litter deposited or blown down into our garden. Grr.
Tired now.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Feb-19 15:40:48

If I scarify he lawns to get the moss out there'll be nothing left!
Does anyone else have a lot of moss?

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Feb-19 15:38:39

We have been having a good tidy up this morning (well, DH had been tidying up, digging etc for most of last week too). It was very warm today and I was tempted to chop back the penstemons but when I checked online I find they shouldn't be pruned back until late April or May.
We could have snow or another Beast from the East yet.

made a ramp for Minou 3 legs <3 smile

jura2 Sun 24-Feb-19 15:34:12

Got quite a collection of beer glasses from the pub next door at our last UK house ;)

Grammaretto Sun 24-Feb-19 14:44:18

I have walked around the garden but not begun the tidy up yet.
These balmy days are deceptive I fear. I was selling seed potatoes yesterday and I had to make sure to remind buyers that it's far too early to plant them out. I'm in Scotland remember. I must go out and pick up the takeaway boxes and beer cans which have rolled been dumped in my front garden.

jura2 Sun 24-Feb-19 14:24:20

Noisy fieldfares are back.

jura2 Sun 24-Feb-19 14:23:51

A bit behind you lot, living in the montains at nearly 1000m. We have gone from winter to spring in 2 days- still got a lot of snow in garden, but patio almost free and borders along the house free too. So this afternoon was first day in garden - this year I shall be able to tackle weeds and pruning at last- after 2 knee replacements last March and March before that- so no gardening until Summer. Pheew. Can't wait to get going. Got all the sunflower seed husks off the patio and made a ramp for Minou 3 legs <3

BlueBelle Sun 24-Feb-19 14:09:42

Beautiful here did a lot of weeding and tidying then had an hour sitting in the very warm sun listening to the birds singing ( wish I was clever enough to recognise the different tunes ) It’s about 16 degrees not a breath of wind and a lot of strength in the sun Beauuuuutiful now having a cup of coffee

grannyticktock Sun 24-Feb-19 14:00:56

Gorgeous day here today. Looking forward to a whole afternoon in the garden, pottering and tidying up. Bliss!

Willow500 Tue 19-Feb-19 09:33:55

Our garden needs a serious sorting out - the grass needs cutting and the weeds are taking over. I hate gardening but am feeling the need to go out there but last week I was away, have had a cold and yesterday I had a bad nose bleed and didn't want to be bending over and today I have to go to the drs then to town. Maybe tomorrow I'll manage to raise the enthusiasm and run out of excuses hmm

BBbevan Tue 19-Feb-19 06:34:43

We sawed down a fir tree a couple of weeks ago. We are struggling to get the root out. Otherwise DH will trip over it every time he goes in the garden. A long job but we are nearly there. And it is exercise .?

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Feb-19 15:59:35

Windy but Sun shining so started garden tidy up, DH took Small shed down,
patio looks bigger, but now needs Jet washing.
Grass cut just the top in case of frost.
Bulbs showing through.
2 lovely white hyacinths in bloom.

Now sitting in conservatory with a cuppa while watching the birds on the feeders and blackbirds checking out where we have cleared for worms and grubs.

Buying a large plastic walk in greenhouse for DGS.
As the seeds they planted last year only just fitted into the mini greenhouse.
I think their abundance of veg from seed was probably down to last year's hot summer.
I fear this year we will more than likely be back to a typical British summer.sunshine.

Whatever the weather I wish all gardening GNers Happy and joyful gardening. Hopefully without too many sore knees and aching backs aching.??

jeanie99 Mon 18-Feb-19 14:45:33

Just at the stage of making a list in my head of what needs to be done.
Can't wait to get started on the big tidy up.

farview Thu 14-Feb-19 11:11:26

Did another couple of hours yesterday.. including sawing down a dead(ish) fir tree... weather wasn't great but happy with results ?it's lovely today but baking/cooking for four of my grandchildren who come every Thursday

Iam64 Thu 14-Feb-19 07:47:47

PECS, hope you get into the greenhouse today. It's another frosty, bright day here with clear skies, which is always so welcome given our tendency to grey and damp.

It's our day for child care so I doubt gardening will be on the agenda. Although, maybe one three year old could be persuaded to wrap up and dig with grannie.

PECS Wed 13-Feb-19 21:21:23

Feeling jealous! it was a lovely day here but unable to do anything due to being hors de combat! May try cleaning out the greenhouse tomorrow and sorting out the cutting taken in autumn that have likely died as I not get out to keep them alive sad

Cold Wed 13-Feb-19 21:19:18

Can't even see my garden yet - still completely snow covered