Gransnet forums

Gardening

Poor soil

(35 Posts)
Greyduster Fri 22-Feb-19 18:01:51

We have just ripped out a very old and very overgrown conifer garden on the corner of our front lawn. It had become a toilet for cats and any passing dog and could not be properly pruned so that it looked tidy. Added to this, it blocked out view of the coming traffic when we backed out of our drive. The problem is that now we have got all the roots out and re-sited all the stones, the soil we are left with is very dry, very poor and full of pine needles. Any way to condition the soil so that it will grow plants again? I want to put in heathers, some low growing shrubs, perennial geraniums, maybe heucheras. Is it a lost cause?

Greyduster Sun 24-Feb-19 09:04:58

Jalima I have a perennial geranium that gets “accidentally” cut down to the ground on a regular basis, but bounces back with a flourish. I should have room for a couple on this new site and I like the look of Rosanne. It’s odd how the dogs still stop, even though there is nothing to sniff at and pee on now, as if they can’t quite work it out!

J52 Sun 24-Feb-19 09:11:34

There are over 68 types of Cranesbill geraniums, large and small, with flowers from white through pink and blue to almost a black purple.
They are one of the most useful plants. Splash is a very pretty one, meduim sized with white flowers striped with purple.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Feb-19 10:28:46

I may plant some more of the cranesbill geraniums but a couple more I have don't flower for long and become rather untidy.

The sun has broken through so I'm off out to inspect Roxanne, chop back an overhanging penstemmon and give her some light!

sunshine

Greyduster Mon 25-Feb-19 22:06:42

I used to grow Johnson’s Blue, which I adored, but it very quickly got out of hand and took up too much space. The one I have in my current garden is quite compact for a cranesbill.

lemongrove Mon 25-Feb-19 22:11:56

Splash does very well in the shade, I love hardy geraniums, they are so useful for filling bits of borders and weed suppressors.
I did love heucheras but have gone right off them now.grin

Gonegirl Mon 25-Feb-19 22:26:51

I like Wargrave Pink But it does take over. I bought a little collection of new ones three years ago. Some are doing better than others. I think some varieties are just too "over-bred".

MaizieD Mon 25-Feb-19 22:27:06

I wouldn't worry about your Rozanne yet, Jalima. I have several different geraniums which all disappear over winter but come back like weeds in the spring! Have a poke around where it was. I bet you'll find it has a nice solid 'base' just waiting to spring into life again...
I bought my Rozanne cheaply from B & Q a couple of years ago from their 'very sad plants' section. It's thriving and flowers all summer long.

Question. Does the cardboard trick stop docks and nettles in their tracks?

Greyduster Tue 26-Feb-19 08:40:52

One thing I will have to tackle before we consider planting anything is getting rid of the extraordinary number of snails that have been thrown up by the upheaval. They have thrived in all the cover. There were fist sized clumps of them (breeding?), and we left a lot on the surface in the hope that the birds would deal with them, but I fancy that in the long run, they will have to be removed by now hand.

J52 Tue 26-Feb-19 09:05:50

Before putting the cardboard down, I hand weeded any large obvious weeds. But the only ones that appear now have blown in as seeds.