Gransnet forums

Gardening

Cleaning the patio

(39 Posts)
loopyloo Thu 28-Feb-19 11:52:45

Advice needed! How should I clean the patio? Should I buy a machine or a nozzle for the hose? Am keen not to use too many chemicals. Be grateful for words of wisdom.

MawBroon Thu 28-Feb-19 11:58:00

Power washer every time! Before and after.
But don’t forget to wear your wellies!

loopyloo Thu 28-Feb-19 13:12:10

Thanks MB!

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Feb-19 13:20:35

If it’s mossy, vinegar is good as it kills it - it is rather, well, vinegary though!

EllanVannin Thu 28-Feb-19 13:28:54

Diluted bleach and a long-handled scrubbing brush------with plenty of elbow-grease to boot.

shysal Thu 28-Feb-19 13:33:29

You can't beat a pressure washer! Better still if you have a Karcher machine in the patio attachment. Mine is fantastic, as easy to use as a vacuum cleaner and much quicker and less splashy than the normal nozzle.

FlexibleFriend Thu 28-Feb-19 13:40:25

Pressure washer every time, not a fan of the above patio attachment mine sits in the shed as it does a better job of cleaning without it, using the attachment cuts down enormously on the spray but imo at the expense of the cleaning but each to their own.

ninathenana Thu 28-Feb-19 16:01:18

Pressure washer but don't buy the expensive recommended chemicals cheapest washing-up liquid works just as well.

MawBroon Thu 28-Feb-19 16:03:31

Totally agree with Flexible Friend !

tiredoldwoman Thu 28-Feb-19 18:32:33

My daughter powerwashed my steps and path last week with her Karchers machine - the difference is amazing . My house is 70 years old but the moss and dirt all wheeched away . It's like a new path ! The same machine is in Lidl today ! £99 !

David1968 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:04:31

I sometimes scrub the patio with a good, strong, (old-fashioned) broom and a bucket of warm water/washing-up liquid. Works a treat, and has a low negative environmental impact (so I understand.) Also gives me a bit of a work-out! (Wear welllies or walking boots.)

Grampie Fri 01-Mar-19 10:10:58

Thanks Shysal.

I didn’t realize that we could paste images here.

MiniMoon Fri 01-Mar-19 10:20:26

My DH swears by a product called Wet & Forget. It's non toxic, biodegradable and has a ph of 8. It was developed in New Zealand and is used in marinas and theme parks.
It's very effective and long lasting.
I sound like an advertisement, but I have no connection to the company.??

Craftycat Fri 01-Mar-19 10:58:27

Pressure Washer -but it does make a hell of a mess. I spend longer cleaning up afterwards- the doors, windows & walls of house- than I do actually cleaning patio.
I'll look out for the Wet & Forget this Spring. ( or did we just have Spring?)

4allweknow Fri 01-Mar-19 11:27:35

Algon is organic and works really well especially on moss and monobloc. If not a huge area works out not too expensive. Other than that Kercher washer with brush. High power washers are inclined to remove any sand in between slabs etc and you almost need a full biochemical suit for protection, really messy!

Magrithea Fri 01-Mar-19 12:56:59

Power washer is the best solution

sarahellenwhitney Fri 01-Mar-19 13:29:15

Having had to have my' local quarry slate' patio repointed at ' great ' cost I was advised 'next time you want to give it a clean GO easy with the pressure washer.
In future I will be using a product that you ' spray and wash off.

Gonegirl Fri 01-Mar-19 14:24:06

Am I the only one who just sweeps hers? Very occasionally.

FlexibleFriend Fri 01-Mar-19 14:56:59

I clear up after my dogs every day and then hose down the patio. I pressure wash it once a year to get rid of accumulated dirt. My patio is pointed and the pointing is fine after 20+ years of being pressure washed. Water is all that's needed in the pressure washer so why buy additional products regardless of how environmental they claim to be. Horses for courses I'd say, not everyone is the same and nor are their patio's.

GabriellaG54 Tue 05-Mar-19 08:32:21

Has anyone thought about the airborne particles 'thrown up' by pressure washers. Some of all the stuff you're hoping to remove will be inhaled by you as you work going forward.

MawBroon Tue 05-Mar-19 08:47:27

You could walk backwards GabriellaG I actually do.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 05-Mar-19 08:51:42

I just sweep mine too Gonegirl as it's less effort.

PamelaJ1 Tue 05-Mar-19 09:02:06

Bob flowerdew mentioned this on GQT last weekend.
If it’s only a small area just keep going out with the remains of the hot water in your kettle when you make a cup of tea.
( other drinks are available!)
Won’t work for us unfortunately.

FlexibleFriend Tue 05-Mar-19 10:05:11

My kettle is redundant we never drink tea or coffee so a kettle full of water would do about a square foot of patio. Nor sure what use that would be as my patio is quite large. Not to mention the risk of scalding myself in the event of spillage. I'll stick to my pressure washer and have never got particle anywhere near my face. After a while you develop a technique and yeah I get wet feet and my shins get a bit damp but that's it. I don't use chemicals as I'm wary of their use around my dogs. Water does no harm even with added pressure.

MawBroon Tue 05-Mar-19 10:09:21

Likewise FlexibleFriend - but I do find the wellies useful - I am a total klutz where water is concerned. And as for “particles in the air” they presumably came from the air in the first place -dust, soot, dirt- apart from the bird poo!
I too don’t use chemicals, with a dog I would worry that I might be polluting the grass .