Gransnet forums

Gardening

Sweet pea seeds

(31 Posts)
Luckygirl Sun 10-Mar-19 15:52:35

OK - there they are - growing brilliantly after about 2 weeks. One stem, healthy and upright with two little leaves on the top - I, as a total novice, am delighted, and the GC are thrilled!

They are in a tray with very deep sections, similar to those in which some were growing when given by a friend last year - and they went straight in the ground from there.

Do I "pinch them out"? Do I just go on being nice to them and see what happens? They look very healthy.

Gettingitrightoneday Sun 10-Mar-19 16:16:35

LuckyGirl. I have just found a lot of small seedlings in a pot with with my honeysuckle.

I did not put them there. I suspect that the warm spell might have put them into growth. I think the seedlings might be last year Sunflower seeds.

This sudden bitter cold is not going to do them any good though

I am not very good at growing from seeds at all.

tanith Sun 10-Mar-19 16:25:39

I too have sweet peas and sunflowers seeds that have sprouted I’ll pinch the tips out when they are about 6ins tall.
The sunflowers I’ve actually put them out in the ground now and covered them with leaves for a little protection not sure if they’ll do ok though.

Luckygirl Sun 10-Mar-19 17:07:21

Do you pinch the sweet peas out even if there are no other leaves down the main stem?

Farmor15 Sun 10-Mar-19 17:16:08

Hint for those who haven’t planted sweet peas yet - collect cardboard inners from toilet paper (ask friends and family to save) put in plastic tray and fill with compost. Put 2 or 3 seeds about a inch down in each. When big enough to plant out, each roll inner can be put in ground as they are, so roots aren’t disturbed.

I think Monty Don suggested this last year.

Farmor15 Sun 10-Mar-19 17:18:46

Well done Luckygirl for giving seed growing a try. It’s. very satisfying ?. I wouldn’t do any pinching out yet.

Luckygirl Sun 10-Mar-19 17:37:35

I have the loo rolls too!

Grammaretto Sun 10-Mar-19 18:05:51

Here in Scotland I leave planting out sweet peas until all fear of frosts has gone. Brr. As soon as it stops snowing I'll plant them in the unheated greenhouse and transfer to the garden when the soil warms up which could be May. I like to pick sweet peas in August.

merlotgran Sun 10-Mar-19 18:14:23

If you only have two leaves at the top of the stem they are the seed leaves so shouldn't be pinched out until more leaves appear.

I don't plant sweet peas out that have been started under glass until after the danger of frosts has passed but you could cover them with a cloche or some fleece if there are frost warnings.

merlotgran Sun 10-Mar-19 18:15:35

Yes. Loo roll middles here as well. I also use them for sowing broad beans and sugar snap peas.

tanith Sun 10-Mar-19 21:44:40

I don’t pinch out the tips till there are four pairs of leaves then pinch the tips of the sweet peas.

Luckygirl Sun 10-Mar-19 22:07:49

They are very tall!

Anja Sun 10-Mar-19 22:11:54

Then pinch them now!

merlotgran Sun 10-Mar-19 22:20:11

Were they quite tall and spindly before you planted them out? This is etiolation - the emerging plant is looking for light.

Unfortunately this weakens it considerably so your best bet is to sow some more as there is still time. You can then replace them if they don't make viable plants.

Luckygirl Sun 10-Mar-19 22:20:33

Even though they only have the two little leaves on the top!?

They are about 5-6" tall. Slender and elegant.

Luckygirl Sun 10-Mar-19 22:21:35

I have just poked seeds into a tray with deep sections.

merlotgran Sun 10-Mar-19 22:26:41

I wouldn't advise pinching them out because the emerging seed leaves will have used up a great deal of energy from the seed itself. You will only be left with a bare stalk.

It's a common dilemma. Everything is too far advanced this year and whenever this has happened to me in the past I've sown some more seeds for back up.

Anja Sun 10-Mar-19 22:28:29

Merlot’s correct then. If they’ve only got a couple of little leaves at the top. Best leave then alone.

merlotgran Sun 10-Mar-19 22:28:49

If you protect them from frost they could still make viable plants but it's a good plan to have some back up just in case.

Luckygirl Sun 10-Mar-19 22:34:39

They are indoors and well protected with covers on.

merlotgran Sun 10-Mar-19 22:47:25

Sorry, Luckygirl, I got the wrong end of the stick and thought you'd planted them out.

They now need hardening off so remove the covers and gradually get them used to being planted out. They don't need to be in a warm place any more but need light. Are they in a greenhouse or on a windowsill?

The more cosseting they get now the more they will become spindly and weak because they are indoors.

If you don't have a greenhouse you could stand them outside in a sheltered spot but where they can get full light during the day but continue to protect them from frost.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Mar-19 23:10:36

Luckygirl, you can build up soil around them if they're rather spindly.

Luckygirl Mon 11-Mar-19 08:52:50

It is quite cold here - I thought it might be too early to start putting them out.

They are in a sort of deep plastic rectangular trough with a domed more-or-less transparent cover on - I was given two of these for Christmas.

Could I plonk this out on the decking for an hour or two?

Some have produced more leaves now. If I pinch the first leaves off, do I do it just above the new leaves?

This is like GQT! - I am very grateful for all your help.

merlotgran Mon 11-Mar-19 09:09:18

Yes. Put them outside for a few hours during the day but take them back in at night while we're having this cold spell. Keep the cover on while they're outside then you can start removing the cover during the day and put it back on at night leaving them outside all the time. Don't remove the cover completely until there is no further risk of frost. It's late where we live in East Anglia (I have to wait until the end of May) but it might be milder in your neck of the woods so just keep checking the weather forecast.

Don't be tempted to pinch out the top leaves just yet unless they have a sudden growth spurt. Putting them outside during the day should strengthen them enough to be able to put more energy into producing more leaves.

As Monty Don said on GW last Friday, We're learning from the very warm weather in February which made everything race ahead too quickly.

Luckygirl Mon 11-Mar-19 11:07:30

Here's a plan - they are quite heavy because they are in a sort of table, so lots of weight of compost. I thought I might put them on the decking for a couple of hours this afternoon, then drag them into the garage overnight. My DD will help me to get them to the decking, but I cannot get them back to where they were indoors as too heavy for one! The garage will be quite a bit colder than their normal home in the house. Do you think being in the colder garage instead might kill them off?