Gransnet forums

Gardening

Invasive Lilly of the Valley

(43 Posts)
jeanie99 Mon 06-May-19 09:01:38

I am finding it difficult to get rid of Lilly of the Valley plants which are growing in my borders.
Two ferns will need to be taken out and replanted I don't think I have any chose as the plant is now growing within the ferns.
I have already taken out a number of these plants but some are so close to shrubs I worry about damaging the route systems.
Does anyone have ideas of what to do.

EllanVannin Mon 06-May-19 09:18:51

I couldn't think of anything nicer than lily of the valley for being " invasive ". Now if you'd have said knotweed I'd have understood.
One of my favourite, if not my favourite flower with such tiny bells with the most exquisite perfume.

aggie Mon 06-May-19 09:20:48

Just keep pulling the leaves and flowers off , if you must !

Telly Mon 06-May-19 09:21:17

I recently posted on a thread about trying to get them established! I would think that if you keep digging them out they will decrease. Their room systems should be easy to get at.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-May-19 09:24:47

I wish

gillybob Mon 06-May-19 09:25:56

I couldn't think of anything nicer than lily of the valley for being " invasive "

I was thinking exactly the same EllanVannin confused I would be thrilled to have lily of the valley invade my borders !

Liz46 Mon 06-May-19 09:27:50

I dug up many of these last year as they were taking over and spreading into our neighbour's garden as well. They have come back this year.

kittylester Mon 06-May-19 09:32:27

I wish too.

However - the pesky wild garlic is a pain in my garden.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 06-May-19 09:37:01

I've got just a few lily of the valley in a trough which haven't taken over - yet. My garden has been taken over by violets - which I don't mind as they are so pretty - sadly no scent.

Izabella Mon 06-May-19 09:47:19

I wish ours would take over too.

annodomini Mon 06-May-19 10:02:02

I wish I had your problem. I can't get Lily of the Valley to 'take' in my garden. In both of my previous gardens, they refused to grow. Is it me?

Bathsheba Mon 06-May-19 10:13:38

Another here who would love your problem! Such a beautiful and heavenly scented little flower. My son has some in his garden and I have to pick a stem to inhale its scent as I can't get down that low anymore. I wonder if it would grow in a hanging basket? ?

MamaCaz Mon 06-May-19 10:27:22

As with any plant, they can become a problem when they are growing uncontrollably in places where you don't want them.
I know from experience how hard it is to eradicate them. I only achieved this with three years of digging out and using weedkiller. I was only able to do the latter where they were in and around the roots of a deciduous shrub whose leaves appeared after those of the Lily of the Valley, and on those growing through gaps in the concrete path.

If you say you would like this problem, I would say be careful what you wish for ā˜ŗ

Gonegirl Mon 06-May-19 10:30:16

I wish mine would invade a bit. I only seem to get about three. Probably because my shady bit is always over-run by other invasive stuff. sad

Jaxie Mon 06-May-19 10:37:54

Me too, Gonegirl, but I've just spotted one pushing up through a gravel path, which I haven't the heart to uproot.

Gonegirl Mon 06-May-19 11:09:41

Definitely leave it! smile

Moocow Mon 06-May-19 11:17:27

I wish I lived nearby I'd offer to come round and dig some up for my own garden. No help at all.
However one thought, are they at the front of your garden? I wonder if any neighbours would be interested in digging up a load for their own tubs if your soil is so good for them. Another thought is local Guides groups, maybe they would love it is part of a garden/helping badge. You could try contacting one of the leaders. Otherwise as another person said, keep pulling their leaves and flowers which I assume would stop them eventually.

jeanie99 Mon 06-May-19 18:59:25

Moocow
I have given dozens of the plants away this spring to very happy gardener.

My problem is they are growing through other plants now and will eventually take over. I'm trying to stop this before it gets completely out of hand.
I've taken out a large quantity today and will continue to take them out as time allows but the root system goes on and on like tentacles.
If you have a large garden and plenty of space it's probably not a problem so much but mine is small and I want to enjoy all the plants that live there.
I've found a good website today that gives information on controlling the plant.
Thanks everyone for your comments much appreciated.

Moocow Mon 06-May-19 19:05:53

Hope you win soon jeanie99

jura2 Mon 06-May-19 19:16:49

wow - I wish

BlueBelle Mon 06-May-19 19:19:15

I have loads of lily of the valley and a small garden they fit in beautifully with all my bluebells and I love them and their scent I could never have too many they seem to fit in between all the primroses, primulas cowslips and bluebells (and some white bells ) I ve never consider them invasive

quizqueen Mon 06-May-19 19:24:16

Who could prefer boring old ferns over Lily of the Valley!!

mimismo Tue 07-May-19 11:02:00

So jealous - I've been trying to get lily of the valley to flower for years!!

newnanny Tue 07-May-19 13:52:41

My Auntie used to pull up a few clumps each year to give to children's fetes for them to sell.

Namsnanny Wed 08-May-19 16:15:39

One mans meat is another mans poison!
I started a thread asking for advice on how to keep them in my garden!
Just planted some more for probably the last time so Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed ?!!