Gransnet forums

Gardening

bedding plants ,slugs

(33 Posts)
Alexa Thu 09-May-19 22:07:18

Does anyone know which bedding plants are disliked by slugs?

Scribbles Thu 09-May-19 23:02:42

I've been told that they dislike marigolds. At my old home, I planted a lot of French marigolds and the slugs did leave them alone but just rampaged past them and ate everything else angry.

When we moved here, there were a lot of English marigolds randomly scattered throughout the garden. They look lovely and cheerful and I've seen no evidence of slug activity. The marigolds are staying!

Grammaretto Thu 09-May-19 23:05:40

All of them! The more succulent and leafy the more they like to guzzle them. However the less disturbance the plant gets, the less attractive to slugs. Slugs go for injured plants.
If you must plant bedding plants put down a beer trap or two or if you can be bothered, go out with a torch now and pick off the slugs with a gloved hand.

grannyqueenie Thu 09-May-19 23:16:36

They don’t seem to bother with lobelia but always demolish my French marigolds. I keep meaning to try English ones.

Alima Fri 10-May-19 06:50:42

Slugs have always eaten any marigolds though I don’t know what nationality they were. (The flowers that is, have the slugs down as native to this isle). I plant lots of begonias as the slugs appear to leave them alone. I do realise that some people regard begonias as common. I love ‘em, bold, brassy and above all uneaten.

Juliette Fri 10-May-19 08:03:38

Another vote for begonias. Common or not the slugs reallly don’t like them.

travelsafar Fri 10-May-19 08:06:08

They dont seem to like Geraniums either, maybe it is the smell they give off. They do eat my marigolds though so i have to be vigilant and go on slug patrol!!!smile

shysal Fri 10-May-19 08:08:23

Petunias don't seem to suffer too badly from slugs. Sunflowers, on the other hand, are eaten down to the ground!

Witzend Fri 10-May-19 08:25:25

Slugs around here love petunias! I've stopped buying any - I've had newly planted ones literally stripped to bare stalks overnight. They've also made their way up a tree to a basket fastened several feet up, to devour my verbenas.

They never touch geraniums, lobelia or Busy Lizzies, though. (Small garden, most of my summer colour is in pots.).

petra Fri 10-May-19 08:28:50

I know I bang on about them but if you want to get rid of slugs you have to start in early March by spraying nematodes. Early March is when the baby slugs are starting to grow in the soil. You spay every 6 weeks through the summer.
Last year I only had 5 slugs.
Other than that it's Geraniums grin

petra Fri 10-May-19 08:30:57

I meant to add: the copper tape around the rim of pots stops snails. I've put my Hostas in pots this year.

Fennel Fri 10-May-19 12:49:01

I don't know about slugs with flowers (except hebe.)
But I do know that they love young greens/lettuce plants. So maybe try planting some lettuce etc seedlings among you flowers.
I read a gardening forum, and it seems that various garden pests are increasing. Perhaps due to changing climate conditions.
We used slug pellets when we had a veg. garden, out of desperation.

nonnasusie Fri 10-May-19 13:16:11

Why don't slugs like weeds?? They only eat bedding plants and vegetables!!?

annodomini Fri 10-May-19 13:32:19

I usually curse the invasive geraniums that spread themselves around my garden, but if they deter slugs perhaps they can stay.

Grammaretto Fri 10-May-19 16:58:21

Copper tape around flower pots really works doesn't it petra.
Slugs never touch parsley, thyme, rhubarb, mint but they love basil .
They wait for the strawberries, courgettes and tomatoes to ripen before going in for the kill.
I never use any poisons so have to steer clear of some things I like.

midgey Fri 10-May-19 17:02:52

Copper tape didn’t work for me! It eventually was washed off in bits and blew everywhere.

Grammaretto Fri 10-May-19 17:45:30

You can get these-rather expensive- slug fences.
www.slughelp.com/slug-fence/
Has anyone tried them? I'm tempted.

shysal Sat 11-May-19 14:35:09

Did anyone see the Hosta grower on Gardeners World last night? They said that standing the pot in any metal container keeps away the slugs. They showed some standing in old frying pans!

annodomini Sat 11-May-19 14:52:46

I have a large Hosta growing among other miscellaneous plants and ferns. I have seldom seen any slug damage on it. Maybe they are intimidated by its size. grin

Resurgam123 Thu 16-May-19 18:05:06

Annodomini

There is my solution.! What can you do for my Hydrangeas.
Mine have looked like lace for three yrs and I gave
mine away on freecycle.
I am ruthless on plants that don't perform.

bikergran Thu 16-May-19 18:47:40

Deff Begonias...I usually but the big giant ones (not the small bedding ones) Ive never had trouble with slugs eating them.

But they used to "fine dine" on my marigolds and petunias.

I have just almost finished putting gravel down in my borders. easier to maintain, so will just be doing a couple of big tubs with begonias this year.
'

bikergran Thu 16-May-19 18:48:00

"buy" not but rolls eyes

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 18:54:04

I'm afraid I just go for slug pellets. The sort that are supposed to be pet friendly. I've lost too many much wanted plants...

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 18:56:35

I have just almost finished putting gravel down in my borders. easier to maintain,

Don't you believe it. Gravel is a perfect seed medium. You'll spend ages weeding it... (unless you go for weedkiller, of course)

bikergran Thu 16-May-19 19:00:01

Ive put heavy duty weed suppressant underneath, did this round rest of my borders last year and must say if a weed does make its way to the surface it is really easy to pull out, I only have small garden so its not too bad.

(saying that I have just spent hours/days putting new fence up/post etc etc that blew down in the gale).