Gransnet forums

Gardening

Suggestions for Perennials

(59 Posts)
kittylester Mon 13-May-19 07:21:43

Has anyone suggestions for a border (west/south west facing) which we want to plant with perennials?

Our garden isnt big, the border is about 4 metres long and 1 metre deep with a wall/fence behind. It has currently got some alliums and a couple of huecheras (cant spell that!).

The wall has pyrocanthas, actinidia and a new winter flowering evergreen clematis growing on it.

Thank you for your help.

Resurgam123 Thu 16-May-19 19:27:46

Luckygirl. I was Nelliemoser. The plants in the previous post is possibly useful for what you are after.

(I had created a big GN hiccup and GNHQ got me back )

Resurgam123 Thu 16-May-19 19:16:43

"Day lillies" aka Hemerocallis these are really tough and attractive . My garden has had them for yeare now.

Google them, they come in all colours see what you think.

Japanese anenomes are lovely but they are very invasive .

dragonfly46 Thu 16-May-19 19:16:17

I have peonies which I love and lupins. I love the old cottage garden plants. Penstemons and campanula, blue everlasting geraniums and aquilegia I love. I also love any type of daisy.

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 19:08:27

The taller alliums are lovely scattered through an informal border. They come back year after year (and self seed if you want to let them) Popular with bees, too.

Scribbles Thu 16-May-19 18:46:34

Has anybody mentioned aubretia for low-growing ground cover? I wouldn't be without lavender and dianthus either for co!our,scent, bees and butterflies.

lincolnimp Thu 16-May-19 17:34:54

What about London Pride. So very pretty delicate flowers and good slow growing ground cover.

lincolnimp Thu 16-May-19 17:31:02

Don't plant Japanese anemones unless you want them to totally take over your border. They are very pretty flowers, but dreadfully invasive and almost impossible to remove

granbabies123 Wed 15-May-19 21:26:31

I have similar borders and fill them with clematis honeysuckle and roses on obelisks then foxgloves ,delphinums and hollyhocks at the back, peaonies, verbena bon... alliums in front then filled with bluebells daffs(tete a tete) in front I also have dwarf fruit trees in border too. Pops of colour from alstromeria, lupin and a few annuals. Sounds a lot but you don't need many just set them out and they will grow and look beautiful. Sit back and enjoy.

kittylester Wed 15-May-19 20:23:26

ga, we redesigned our garden a few years ago and then got someone to do a planting a for us. Since then, we have replanted it and it is fabulous to know what is what. But, as you say, it's a little expensive.

jura, we have had Thalictrum in our garden for a while.

pce612 Wed 15-May-19 19:55:18

Antirhinums grow like weeds in my garden, 1 plant (yellow) bought 3 years ago, now have plants of various colours.
My favourite flowers are Fuchsias but it is too cold here to keep even the hardiest from year to year.

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 19:30:05

And never plant an Acanthus!

Gonegirl Wed 15-May-19 19:29:19

Same here about Japanese Anemones. I like them, especially the pink ones, but they are thugs! I am just pulling the top growth off now in the hope they will get discouraged.

Grandmama Wed 15-May-19 19:25:40

It took me several attempts to get Japanese anemones to grow, now I can't get rid of the bl**dy plants. They are all over the place. This organic gardener resorted to Round-up and that hasn't worked.

I think I have most of the plants suggested above.

shysal Wed 15-May-19 17:24:38

I bought 2 of the RB Hydrangea, HannahLoisLuke. I have put one in a large pot and the other in the new bed I created late last summer to replace my veg plot. I hope they will be as spectacular as the publicity states.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 15-May-19 16:59:34

Any or all of those suggested but also agapanthus.

I've just ordered the Hydrangea Runaway Bride mentioned above. I believe its growth is 1mx1m. I hope that's correct as I have its home planned, semi shaded and about that size.

paddyann Wed 15-May-19 16:51:16

if you want ground cover plant Phlox ,we have the ground hugging one and a taller one and it keeps weeds at bay and flowers for most of the year and comes back every year without fail

pipdog Wed 15-May-19 15:47:34

I have just put some lupins in and am now on the look out for a couple of taller grasses to add a bit of movement. Don't forget spring bulbs later in the year. Oh and what about some herbs, I have a curry plant that adds a bit of grey green to the mix and intend to add some fennel too.

Telly Wed 15-May-19 15:07:38

Aster and monarda have done exceptionally well. Mine flowered from June through September/Oct. They grow well and give an impressive display plus the bees love them.

chrissyh Wed 15-May-19 14:59:12

If you want to cheat, Homebase sell a ready-made border. If you put Sunny or shady border in their search bit there are lots of different sizes. Thought about it myself but don't know how it turns out.

Greyduster Wed 15-May-19 14:10:26

I too love foxgloves, craftycat, and wouldn’t be without them in my garden, but they do tend to come up in the most unexpected places each year (mostly where you don’t want them!).

Greyduster Wed 15-May-19 14:07:29

Astilbe, and Bergamot (bees love it).

Kim19 Wed 15-May-19 13:30:20

Lavatera does it for me.

Craftycat Wed 15-May-19 13:17:52

I saw a gorgeous border at Hever Castle a couple of weeks ago planted with just Huecheras. It looked wonderful- you forget how many lovely colours they come in.
Personally I love Foxgloves- especially at the back of a border. they often give a second flowering too so good value.
Plus you get a lot of new ones every year to be transplanted elsewhere.

jura2 Wed 15-May-19 11:33:10

Simple tall marguerite daisies too. And larksspur.

jura2 Wed 15-May-19 11:22:56

Jaccob's ladders need wet feet ...
of and of course, many types of cranesbill geranium- Chelsea chop large clumps for longer flowering time. Sedum are great too for late colour and bee nectar, both green and red leaved ones.