Gransnet forums

Gardening

Chelsea

(31 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 08:47:26

Think the Welcome to Yorkshire canal is impressive.

Anyone going?

We’ve given up because of the crowds.

katie1 Thu 30-May-19 19:58:20

I went on Saturday, it was lovely. I saw Monty's head in the Press standsmile Lots of people, but so polite if you bump into someone or they you. Being a Yorkshire girl I loved the Yorkshire garden. It is a lovely experience.

Mapleleaf Tue 21-May-19 13:27:52

I’d like to go for the atmosphere, but suspect, like other posters, that I wouldn’t see very much being not very tall. I love watching it on the tv, though.
I agree with others, the gardens do seem much better this year with more plants and less structures. I thought they tended to over dominate a bit last year.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-May-19 09:45:58

j52 thanks for that bit of info.

J52 Tue 21-May-19 09:41:12

For anyone that’s interested; the RHS website has in-depth photos and explanations of each of the show gardens and the awards they achieved.

Harris27 Tue 21-May-19 08:49:22

Would love to go as its on my list! Trying chats worth this year and looking forward to it although smaller will suit us couple of hours drive from us. Love Chelsea and watch it every year like you ellevallin strawberries and cream on sofa!

Witzend Tue 21-May-19 08:43:25

Re all the walking at Chelsea, I once took a SiL on her birthday - we went mad and took a rickshaw from Sloane Sq Tube to the show - and ditto on the way back. Deliciously self indulgent, and saved our feet a bit.
Weather was far from brilliant that day, but at least it wasn't actually raining.

MawBroonsback Mon 20-May-19 20:22:11

Doesn’t Monty scrub up nicely?
I have yet to get to Chelsea- I suspect I would not see a fraction of it because of the crowds, I prefer the more open spaces of Chatsworth and Tatton Park.
I like Kate’s garden but wonder if she had had a sneaky peek at SIL’s “Clearing” in Waltham Forest, complete with tree trunks to climb on and a tepee made out of branches.
Either that or great minds think alike!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 20:03:38

Monty has had a hair cut and squashed into a shirt and tie???

HildaW Mon 20-May-19 16:02:53

I think the other RHS shows are actually better for us normal folks. Chelsea is really becoming more a remnant of the old 'Season' a place to see and be seen in. Its all very well if you are local and do not have to trawl up for the day and depend on a picnic.
Hampton Court is far better as is Malvern.

aggie Mon 20-May-19 15:13:32

been to Chelsea a few times , couldn't manage it now with the crowds and I seem to have shrunk ( not sideways ) so i just watch it on TV , you see more of the garden on TV , only the one that Kate is involved with , lets you walk round in the garden . The children seemed to be really enjoying it . Haven't seen enough to pick a favourite

gillybob Mon 20-May-19 15:04:09

I’ve been to Tatton Park a few times and Hampton Court once ( I’d love to go back ) not bothered about visiting Chelsea as it always looks overcrowded on TV .

Namsnanny Mon 20-May-19 13:57:18

Chelsea gardens and flowers lovely!!!
Presenters yacking not so much?

Granarchist Mon 20-May-19 13:40:30

Last time I went my daughter and I arrived at the parking at 7am. We were first in the queue and then when we got in, it was blissfully empty - we hit the main avenue show gardens, then the grand marquee - then the artisan gardens (my favourites) - we saw everything (avoiding the trade stands mostly) by the time we left at about 1pm it was rammed. We had a lovely time and went off to a pub for lunch. It meant a 5am start but so worth it.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 12:47:10

It looks a lot more planted this year, I didn’t enjoy last year at all as it seemed to me to be too much hard landscape.

grannysyb Mon 20-May-19 12:14:17

My lovely cousin was a 'Captain of Invalids",that is he was in charge of a battalion of Chelsea Pensioners, and lived in a lovely house at the Royal Hospital. They used to to get tickets to go in at 8 o'clock , we would go and have a meal there and then go for a wander round, not too busy but quite a lot of what DH calls corporate hostility! I'm going with two friends on Wednesday, but after 3.30. Weather looks to be OK.

JessK Mon 20-May-19 11:59:08

I do enjoy going to Chelsea Witzend but agree with you that Hampton Court is a very good alternative. Not so crowded and a very relaxed atmosphere in wonderful grounds.

Witzend Mon 20-May-19 11:45:55

We were lucky enough to get free tickets several years in a row. So I took sundry friends and relatives - although dh enjoyed it, once was enough for him.

However on the last occasion I took a friend who'd never been and had had a tough time generally, it was supposed to be a treat for her.

What a disappointment. It was cold and raining for much of the time, and we could find nowhere under cover to have lunch - the only place we found had an hour's wait. Having 'done' the marquees - so terribly crowded because of the weather - we ended up sheltering under a tree to eat something, and left early.

TBH I was appalled at the organisers, for failing to provide nearly enough places to eat under cover, when May weather is so very unpredictable.
Even if we had more free tickets I'd never go again - I'd give them away, same as once before.

I have also visited the Hampton Court Flower show, and do so recommend it as an alternative. There is masses more space for the crowds, there are much the same things to see - and possibly more of them because of more space - and in July it's certainly less likely to be actually cold.

Teetime Mon 20-May-19 11:44:05

I would like to go having only been once before and it tipped it down all day. I feel its too expensive really and far too crowded to be enjoyable.

whywhywhy Mon 20-May-19 11:35:43

I would love to go, maybe one day.......

humptydumpty Mon 20-May-19 11:28:58

Agree, Nanny, I'm not a royal 'fan' but liked these a lot:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48329425

Nannylovesshopping Mon 20-May-19 11:27:30

Lovely pictures showing the Duchess of Cambridge and
her family at Chelsea, they all look very happy?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 11:26:00

Oh yes I thought the art installlation of young men was extremely emotional.

J52 Mon 20-May-19 11:22:43

I’m avidly watching, it’s lovely to hear the stories behind the creations.
I’m going on Wednesday, can’t wait! I was rally moved by the Arromanches Beach installation to mark the 75 anniversary of the Normandy landings. It is really lovely to see Thrift used as the commemorative plant, rather than poppies. Of course Thrift is native to both British and French coastlines.
It’s also a very pretty long flowering plant to have in the garden, sold as Armeria.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 20-May-19 10:29:53

I love the Chelsea Flower Show on telly but never been, not keen on crowds & not very tall so it'd be a struggle to see.
My sister went many years ago before they built the pavilion (or it was smaller) and said it was difficult to see the gardens properly. When it rained there was a stampede for the tent. She was pregnant with her first child* and an elderly chap offered her his seat! *40 this year.

Beechnut Mon 20-May-19 10:26:18

Yes the canal impressed me.
I thought there seemed to be more planting this year than hard landscaping.
I’ve never been but I wouldn’t like the crowds.