Gransnet forums

Gardening

Aquilegia

(35 Posts)
Farmor15 Tue 28-May-19 22:12:36

Anyone else have Aquilegia (columbine) and notice how promiscuous they are? I bought one plant initially, then a couple of packets of seeds. I brought a few from my mother's garden, which were the sort of wild ones. Now they're all interbreeding and I have lots of different kinds - some are really lovely. I just let them seed themselves around the garden.

They have so many interesting shapes and colours - I decided to photograph them. Here are just a few examples.

aggie Wed 29-May-19 20:46:58

I have lost several special Aquilegias to a Virus that is wiping them out , I am watching the rest , some didn't appear and some came up very short and died

Purpledaffodil Thu 30-May-19 08:12:48

We bought a plant in Durham years ago which self seeded and we always had plenty in the garden. Reading this thread I realised that we don’t have any now. Am wondering if a new plant from the garden centre would start off another dynasty or if this virus would see that off too? They are such lovely cottage garden plants I’d like to have them again.

LadyGracie Thu 30-May-19 11:14:14

Aren’t they beautiful, we were given a black one. We have pinks, blues and a pale lemon one, they’re so intricate, nature is so uplifting!

aggie Thu 30-May-19 11:17:24

Advice is not to reintroduce them for a year at least

Fennel Thu 30-May-19 11:25:57

We have a lot of the pink ones that you mention Callistemon - they're very tall and have been blooming for a few weeks now.

Resurgam123 Mon 03-Jun-19 08:27:00

Yes I have two that appeared in my garden.
I think they are very promiscous and will mate with any other Aquilegia so it is likely not to grow true.
They are very pretty though.

Rolypoly55 Mon 03-Jun-19 11:03:07

They are beautiful, the ones I have are all purple.

Resurgam123 Tue 04-Jun-19 00:57:50

Well they are better than Alchemilla Mollis.
OK they do have their uses.
They are thuggish.

jura2 Sat 08-Jun-19 21:29:54

The nearly black ones are alpine aquelegias- love them.

LadyGracie - if you could spare a few seeds from the pale lemon one, I'd absolutely love to do a swap. ?