Gransnet forums

Gardening

Exploding hose pipes !

(7 Posts)
Maybelle Tue 16-Jul-19 13:55:05

Just that really, watering the flower pots yesterday evening, and my new (only just been used a few times) expandable hose pipe exploded!

I got drenched, and still had half the tubs to water using a watering can . . .

Not a happy lass.

Anyone else have the same thing happen, or is it just me?

Is it nearly Autumn yet ???

BlueBelle Tue 16-Jul-19 14:20:30

It had that but I bought a new one on a plastic wheel thing so you wind it in and the first time I used it the plastic broke so now I can’t reel it in and have to try and roll it up It’s a flat hose and it cricked so easily that it’s a task and a half to roll up or to roll out so there s no kinks in it an absolute pain I thought it would be better than the round rubber hose
Silly me

Labaik Tue 16-Jul-19 14:20:57

It happened with a cheap one I bought but my Hozelock one is [touch wood] doing ok. One of my pet hates is untangling hosepipes so I find the expandable ones suit me.

MiniMoon Tue 16-Jul-19 14:37:43

DH bought a stainless steel garden hose. He keeps it in a plastic storage box in a heap! It came with a feel but he hasn't bothered with that. It's a marvellous thing, it doesn't tangle at all. It wasn't cheap, but it's well worth the money.

Ellianne Tue 16-Jul-19 15:00:36

Do you mean like this one Maybelle? Ours stretches for miles when I tug and uncurl it, still going strong after 3 or 4 years. Where did yours explode?

Maybelle Tue 16-Jul-19 16:56:52

Hi ellianne not like yours, mine just shrivelled back into it's self.
It had a cover over a core that expanded when water was run through it.
Would you recommend the coil one you have ?

Thingmajig Tue 16-Jul-19 18:28:51

Funnily enough this happened last week when the husband was doing some watering ... he is very prone to breaking things, so I wasn't really surprised! We tried to find a coiled one as the people over the road have one that seems indestructible but ended up with what looks like a sturdier version of the expanding hose.
Cautiously optimistic!!! grin