Gransnet forums

Gardening

Blueberries

(8 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:42:20

I bought 3 blueberry plants from RHS this year. Duke, Bluecrop and Darrow. 2 litre pots. They are early, mid season and late fruiters.

All healthy plants arrived with two in flower. I put them into containers, close to each other facing the sun using soil as recommended by RHS.

As the berries appeared on two plant they nearly almost all dropped off. The other plant (Darrow) hasn't flowered/fruited at all.

I can't see what I have done wrong but so far I have only had 6 blueberries. Delicious but expect so many more. Very few left to ripen.

Any ideas of what went wrong? I know how to prune them but is there anything else I can do next year.

J52 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:49:28

It sounds like they were too dry. All soft fruit need a lot of water, especially in containers.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 12:52:58

I'm not at all sure about container growing. I think a lot of things prefer to be planted out in the soil.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:01:06

I have blackcurrants, raspberries and strawberries in fruit cages as well as 4 raised beds of veggies and flowers to cut. They all get watered at same time.

I did only water every few days but every day in the hot spell. Perhaps they needed more before the hot spell.

RHS quote: Blueberries can also be grown in large pots and containers if ericaceous compost is used". I bought them for the containers as I want to stand them outside the house we're moving into soon.

MiniMoon Wed 14-Aug-19 13:10:36

We have three blueberry bushes in containers. They have plenty of berries, but none of them are ripe yet.
The raspberries, also in containers, fruited well and the ones the birds didn't get were delicious ?.

BBbevan Wed 14-Aug-19 14:51:33

I had two blueberry bushes which were planted in the garden. They did nothing.Last year I dug them up, planted them in erichaceous compost in large pots and put them in the strawberry cage. This year they have grown and produced a lot of berries. Which haven't been eaten by the birds

J52 Wed 14-Aug-19 15:25:13

I’ve got mine in containers and they fruit well.

craftyone Thu 15-Aug-19 06:24:28

I have 8 blueberry bushes, 6 are in large containers, the size of half barrels, all have ericaceous compost and are watered regularly, more so during the very hot weather we have been having. I have not yet got a rain water harvesting system set up so am having to use tap water, sprinkled some sulphur onto each pot 3 months ago. I have had a very good and consistent crop but this year have picked twice a day, not leaving blue berries on the bushes, they used to mature on the bushes after leaving them for another week

If I left any then they would drop this year, I do find that they mature if left in a bowl. I think it was the heat, not lack of watering or feeding or anything else. They turned blue on the bush overnight or during a few hours during the day. They are all off now and I will stop watering them so often. Give them a light prune this winter and that will be it for another year

Btw, bluecrop is the best producer of all. I have a mix