Gransnet forums

Gardening

Roses.Is it heat stress ?

(9 Posts)
Washerwoman Tue 27-Aug-19 19:01:46

I have a very sunny south facing garden and almost overnight 3 out of 4 of the beautiful roses I have in large containers have started to look very sickly.About a third of the leaves have gone yellow /black mottled and quite a lot are falling off.One of the roses I've had for at least 15 years and it's coped with very hot spells before -last summer as an example.Does anyone else have this problem ?I think it's heat stress.Any ideas how I can aid recovery ?Thanks.

lemongrove Tue 27-Aug-19 19:05:08

My container roses are fine...but I have had the same problem in the past.Take off the leaves that have gone mottled and burn them or put in the garden waste bin.Next year prune them well and feed, and they should be fine.

ninathenana Tue 27-Aug-19 19:10:07

Yes same here, we have lost two patio roses this year. They were well established and healthy. One was covered in bright yellow flowers and lush leaves back in June/July it now has hardly any leaves.
Maybe it is the huge fluctuation in temperature. I hadn't even considered that.

Washerwoman Tue 27-Aug-19 19:38:14

Ok thanks I will try that.Two are brand new this year and recovered from powdery mildew earlier in the year.David Austin disease resistant ones so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they are resilient enough to recover.Can someone remind me when would be best to prune them.Would another feed help,or make things worse ?!

craftyone Thu 29-Aug-19 08:03:58

I pruned a little bit yesterday, took off a few stems of sickly leaves from ground planted roses, even those in the ground are suffering.

Daisymae Thu 29-Aug-19 08:45:05

Been away for a few days and back to see my normally healthy David Austin roses exactly as you describe. They are in a hot sunny area where they have been baked. If I take off all the leaves they will be bald.

Washerwoman Fri 30-Aug-19 14:56:12

Reassuring to know it's not just mine.I have pruned the worst leaves off but as you say they one in particular would be bald !I'm hoping some cooler weather and rain helps.

lemongrove Fri 30-Aug-19 16:53:55

Just returned to this thread as this afternoon noticed one David Austin rose ( in pot) now has the same problem.
Think it’s just the weather this year.

MamaCaz Fri 30-Aug-19 18:11:30

I think that the numerous (in some regions, anyway) sudden changes in temperature/weather that we have had this year have caused quite a few plants to struggle this year, not just roses.