Gransnet forums

Gardening

Saving seed

(12 Posts)
Greyduster Sat 25-Jan-20 13:27:53

I save flower seeds; things like zinnias, calendula, snap dragons, lupins; but even when we had an allotment, the only veg seeds I saved were peas and beans and germination was often hit and miss. Not sure whether, with so many vegetable varieties being F1 hybrids, you’d get the same result - or indeed any result - from saved seed. I’m happy to be corrected.

DiaryWriter Sat 25-Jan-20 12:34:11

I love growing my plants (mostly flowers) from seeds, I get a great satisfaction watching as they develop in the greenhouse. For some years I did collect the seeds from the plants that grew, but I had very mixed results as to germination.
In many cases the second generation were a poor shadow of the parent plants and some never grew at all.
I prefer to just buy packet seeds each year.

Resurgam123 Fri 20-Dec-19 08:09:37

A couple of years ago we were inundated with snails. I spent ages picking them off my garden. We have not had as many as that since and I have not put down slug pellets but dropped them in a bucket of water.

Namsnanny Thu 12-Dec-19 22:39:01

I'm going to try that for myself Chewbacca Thanks

Pudding123 Thu 12-Dec-19 22:38:17

I have grown lettuce ,the first year was great but the second year remembering my success the previous year I was not as diligent and the slugs are a good 90% but I will try again.

Namsnanny Thu 12-Dec-19 22:37:12

Resurgam123 interesting reply smile!

Chewbacca Thu 12-Dec-19 22:34:46

My neighbour saved the seeds from capsicum (red bell peppers) that they'd kept, dried and planted in Spring. They gave me 3 small plant pots with approximately 4 inch plants in them. I put them on the kitchen window sill and cropped about a dozen small, very sweet and tender mini capsicums. When I think of how many seeds are inside bell peppers, that I normally just throw away!

BlueBelle Thu 12-Dec-19 22:28:37

I save all my seeds and grow successfully every year but I ve never tried lettuce but why not if we didn’t have shops to buy from we would be growing everything from out own crops so give it a go

Resurgam123 Thu 12-Dec-19 21:28:54

Saving seed sounds rather old testament.
With that thought I had better behave.

Grammaretto Fri 30-Aug-19 22:02:27

Thanks. I have saved seed before but it hasn't been particularly successful. I saved carrot and parsnip but there was poor germination and rather small veg. I've had more success with flowers like nasturtiums and marigold but they tend to self-seed anyway. smile
I'll give it a go with lettuce.

Farmor15 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:29:30

Don’t know about lettuce, but I’ve successfully saved seed from busy lizzy, marigold, cosmos, and some other things. Worth trying. Just collect on fine day and keep in envelope in dry place.

Grammaretto Fri 30-Aug-19 15:49:31

On return from holiday several lettuces have gone to seed. Is it possible to collect and keep the seeds for next year?