Gransnet forums

Gardening

Harvest festival

(12 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 06-Sep-19 19:30:53

Just picked 4 buckets of apples and some sweet peas from the garden!

So stems are getting shorter as the days get cooler.
Not much insect damage this year to the apples, especially as I forgot to put bands around the trunks last winter.
Best enjoy the colours while we cansmile

Alexa Fri 06-Sep-19 20:20:57

The scent from apples and sweetpeas must be wonderful, Namsnanny. Pretty picture too. Thanks.

BradfordLass72 Sat 07-Sep-19 08:18:59

Harvest Festival used to be my favourite celebration at school. Someone always made bread sheaf for the centre and the goodies were distrubted to 'the poor'.

I'd like to bet some of our teachers suddenly becams poverty stricken in the face of such largesse.

When I was a church-goer, I know the items went to deserving families because I was part of the team delivering, although I have no idea how they decided who got the fruits and vegetables, and even tins, which were donated.

Alexa Sat 07-Sep-19 11:48:18

The Unitarian church I used to go to always had a tins harvest festival so the tins would be money efficiently spent. The tinned food always went to an RC convent that fed poor people.

Namsnanny's beautiful gift shows man does not live by bread alone.

Septimia Sat 07-Sep-19 11:55:27

Harvest collections at our church go to the food bank that some of us support throughout the rest of the year.

EllanVannin Sat 07-Sep-19 12:32:45

I never knew where the produce went from church, but I can smell that smell of Autumn now when I think of it. A massive bread sheaf plaited at the bottom and that familiar smell of Russets or Cox's and fruit and veg of all kinds and colours.

We plough the fields and scatter-------

MissAdventure Sat 07-Sep-19 13:09:31

I have had a parcel from a school from their harvest festival, years ago. smile

It was lovely, and it really did help me out.

Auntieflo Sat 07-Sep-19 13:16:48

Namsnanny, beautiful picture, thank you.
The apples look so tasty, and I wish I had luck growing sweet peas.

Namsnanny Fri 13-Sep-19 18:57:04

The scent is/was lovely Alexa!!

Now I'm picking the medium sized apples and stewing them for later on.
The freezer is getting full, so I think friends and neighbours will be getting this next lot!! grin

Namsnanny Fri 13-Sep-19 19:03:13

Auntieflo … Thank you for taking time to post! smile

I know what you mean about growing sweet peas. My MIL used to have a huge garden given over to fruit veg and cut flowers of all kinds.
I loved sweet peas before I met her, but we gelled over them, and every year when they start to flower I think fondly of her.
She had a green finger, but I've had to keep reading up and trying out different things to get mine to grow, and to be honest this is the best year yet!
They just seemed to have enjoyed the wet sunny wet sunny weather we've had. Even the winds didn't disturb their flowering.

Namsnanny Fri 13-Sep-19 19:13:15

MissAdventure ….That's really great to know. smile

I've actually found myself in the situation to go 'dumpster diving' I don't know if your familiar with the phrase, for about 2/4 years. It really really helped me get by.
Not something I'm that proud of but there again, I wasn't too proud to do it!! smile

MissAdventure Fri 13-Sep-19 19:20:10

I've heard the phrase, and I'm sure I've probably done it myself, but I don't know what it is.

Yes, I thought I would let people know that the things they collect do go to deserving people; I was even poorer than I am now when I got my lovely little harvest basket, and I've never forgotten it. smile