Gransnet forums

Gardening

Miniature rose

(8 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 09-Sep-19 09:37:32

I have been given a very pretty miniature rose in a pot for my birthday. Can I plant it out in the garden eventually, or are they just indoor plants?

Flossieturner Mon 09-Sep-19 09:41:37

I have planted them in the garden with varying results. I put them in a sheltered spot in a pot over winter. Then plant the, into the garden in late spring.

Gonegirl Mon 09-Sep-19 10:26:34

I too have tried on various occasions with varying results. I think they are specially bred to be a florist's rose.Don't think it's worth bothering, unless it has a special significance to you. I have kept one going that my son gave to me but each year I come nearer to chucking it out!

EllanVannin Mon 09-Sep-19 10:28:52

I still have one in my kitchen since March ( Mother's Day ) and it re-flowered after its initial flowering when first received.
The foliage has kept healthy and green and I intend planting out next year as the ground warms up, about May.

Davida1968 Mon 09-Sep-19 10:47:13

The miniature rose I was given (as a houseplant ) in the early spring, has grown in size and it continues to bloom beautifully in the garden. It was planted out around Easter time and it started to look happier as soon it was in the (raised) flowerbed. (Ages ago I did this with another miniature rose, and it lasted in the garden for some years, despite this being in NW England and having no special treatment.) I recommend trying this.

Auntieflo Mon 09-Sep-19 10:57:55

Mine is the same as Davida1968. I am surprised at how tall it reached!

Davidhs Mon 09-Sep-19 12:30:19

The problem with planting them out is they get swamped by the other plants around them. A patio rose really is best in a pot or tub on your patio, roses don’t like competition from other plants, don’t forget to feed it and it will be lovely.

cornergran Mon 09-Sep-19 12:39:09

I've put three in the garden, two are thriving the third isn't but as they were originally purchased to look at indoors and I've enjoyed them there I don't worry about it. If they thrive they do, if not well off to the compost with them. No harm in trying lucky, nothing to lose.