Gransnet forums

Gardening

Filling the gaps

(8 Posts)
Washerwoman Thu 26-Sep-19 08:51:31

Have any of you lovely gardeners any recommendations for filling 3/4 gaps in our large herbaceous border ?Having recently visited a couple of gorgeous gardens we've realised we could still pack more in our own.I'm looking for strong colours mid to back of the border-there is plenty going on at the front.And preferably not requiring staking,as feel I already do enough of that.I could divide what we have - heleniums,monarda,phlox paniculata,echinacea to name some but would like to introduce something new.I've avoided delphiniums so far as I don't use slug pellets and think they are notorious for being eaten ?Not asking much !Thank you.

BBbevan Thu 26-Sep-19 10:24:18

Red hot pokers?

shysal Thu 26-Sep-19 16:01:54

What about some Salvias as discussed in the 'What is this?' thread. They normally grow to about 3 ft. and have a long flowering season.

Ellianne Thu 26-Sep-19 16:05:16

I love those hot lips salvias Shysal, they're quite a talking point!

Gaunt47 Thu 26-Sep-19 16:40:03

I'm a big fan of achillea for height in a border - long flowering season. Bees and butterflies love them. The colours might not suit you though: sharp yellow, golden yellow, terracotta.

SpringyChicken Thu 26-Sep-19 16:57:46

What about something like this?

www.woolmans.com/Chrysanthemums/Chrysanthemum-Mrs-Jessie-Cooper.html#.XYzfnS2ZPwc

Washerwoman Thu 26-Sep-19 18:51:31

Thanks for the ideas.Although our garden is South facing this border is partly shade by some trees so I wasn't sure if Salvias would thrive.I have tried a terracotta achillea before but after a very wet winter it never took off.Maybe I will try again.
In the meantime I remembered a lovely nursery a bit further from home and went today.They were really helpful and I came home with purple lobelias,dark blue veronicas and large red persicarias which they advised were self supporting and fairly bomb proof.But ideas always welcome as still a bit more room !

Hetty58 Thu 26-Sep-19 18:57:06

Thalictrum delavayii, Verbena bonariensis and Penstemon are good, reliable gap fillers. How about trying some ornametal grasses, kept in tubs (so easily moved if necessary?