Gransnet forums

Gardening

Tall plants for the back of borders

(25 Posts)
Winniewit Sat 11-Jan-20 22:11:41

Rejuvenating a flowerbed and I want to have some taller plants at the back. Iv thought of Lupins and Delphiniums. Is there anything else that would look pretty?

phoenix Sat 11-Jan-20 22:20:45

Foxgloves? You can get some nice different coloured ones.

In my (limited) experience, some lupins don't get particularly tall.

Hollyhocks are good, but can be tricky.

BBbevan Sun 12-Jan-20 06:40:36

I have artichokes at the back of one bed. They are very structural with beautiful leaves . Left to flower like huge thistles You can eat them and they come back year after year , no trouble.

Farmor15 Sun 12-Jan-20 06:46:40

Hollyhocks are very tall and look good at the back. I’ve eventually got them established after a few tries. Fennel might also look good at back- ferny foliage and flower heads can be quite decorative. Delphiniums are very susceptible to slugs. Sunflowers- though have to replant every year.

Grammaretto Sun 12-Jan-20 07:13:03

Doesn't it depend on soil type, light and space as well as time of flowering? Some tall plants are quite spreading. What about colour?
Hollyhocks need to back onto a wall.
I like lychnis (maltese cross), astrantia and tall poppies.

aggie Sun 12-Jan-20 07:17:38

We planted giant Alliums through the back of the border

Winniewit Sun 12-Jan-20 19:43:45

Thank you for some great ideas. Hollyhocks sound lovely as they will go against the fence

jura2 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:50:09

I hve very tall white harebells, and also wonderful (very poisonous but never been a problem with dogs, chickens, cats, children, etc) Monkshood aka aconitum- the vivid blue is even better than delphinium and so hardy.

jura2 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:55:14

Thalictrum is gorgeous too - very cut leaves, and tiny flowers in big clumps, which open to fluffy bonnets- mine are pink- some are white. Flower for ages.

Cherrytree59 Sun 12-Jan-20 19:57:05

BBbevan you have already raised my interest in mistletoe,
I am now off to Google 'growing artichokes'.?

Purpledaffodil Sun 12-Jan-20 19:57:30

A vote for foxgloves here. Tall, pretty colours and very good at self seeding. Although biennial, there always seems to be some flowering. Jura will have a look for aconitum. Love delphiniums but never had much success with them.Thanks.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Jan-20 20:04:36

Delphiniums. Tall, elegant, beautiful blue flowers and, if you cut them after flowering, you'll get a 2nd showing.

And alliums, planted in clusters of 5 or 7. The dried flower heads are lovely sprayed gold and used in flower arrangements.

jura2 Sun 12-Jan-20 20:10:01

Also got some quite tall Veronicas, blue, pink and white, and Lysimachia Chlehroides - also long white spears that flower for ages.

jura2 Sun 12-Jan-20 20:16:22

Tall purple asters for autumn colour, and black eyed Susan for yellow late colour.

MaizieD Sun 12-Jan-20 20:21:33

Japanese anemones are good for late summer and autumn flowering; pink or white.

They can be rather invasive so you have to keep on your toes with them grin

Also for later summer, montbretia (or whatever it's called now) . Lucifer (red) is tall and not as invasive as the common orange one.

Lillies would be nice if you have good drainage and are prepared to fight the slugs... l. Regale and the orientals have lovely scent.

jura2 Sun 12-Jan-20 20:22:41

And gorgeous Phlox of course, got dark pink, light pink and a wonderful white one that flowers quite a bit later. I always Chelsea Chop the back half, then cut the front after flowering and the back takes over.

Same with Veronicas (aka speedwell) and others.

BBbevan Mon 13-Jan-20 06:06:28

Cherrytree Angelica is a lovely tall plant too.

cavewoman Mon 13-Jan-20 06:19:26

Aah, Angelica !!
Remember the Day of the Triffids?

Grammaretto Mon 13-Jan-20 08:34:12

I'm so enjoying this picture of the border. How inspiring you all are.

I am trying to remember the name of the plant, it may be valerian, which flowers for ages in the great herbaceous border in our community garden.

Has anyone else noticed how florists love aconitum, although it's poisonous? Foxgloves and lupins shouldn't be eaten either but I suppose you have to train children early.

travelsafar Mon 13-Jan-20 08:38:20

Cosmo are beautiful and flower up till October. They can be a bit 'leggy' and you have to deadhead regularly but they have nice foliage as well as flowers which come in many colours.

Nannytopsy Mon 13-Jan-20 08:44:46

Anchusa can be good too. Lots of small vivid blue flowers. Ours didn’t need to be staked or tied up, which is always good. A vote here for Angelica too.

Greyduster Mon 13-Jan-20 08:51:46

Verbena bonariensis is invaluable planted as a backdrop to a border; I wouldn’t be without it, but it is a bit thuggy. Another vote here for foxgloves, and Veronica spicata, too. Hollyhocks are prone to unsightly rust so you have to keep an eye on that.

tessagee Mon 13-Jan-20 15:34:22

I'd vote for any or all of the above as mentioned by responders to the original post plus giant dahlias and gladioli for late summer through to late autumn. Also roses especially hybrids which flower intermittently June to December.

Winniewit Tue 14-Jan-20 07:04:41

Thank you ladies. Youv given me some lovely ideas I can't wait to try out.

DiaryWriter Sat 25-Jan-20 12:12:51

Not mentioned so far - Antirrhinum (Snapdragon). I always include a line of them in my border. They grow around 1½ feet to 2 feet tall and flower late June to September/October.