Gransnet forums

Gardening

Rats

(53 Posts)
Iwastoldtheredbecake Sat 25-Jan-20 15:17:05

I’m not sure if the decking is the main problem, our neighbours feed the birds and rats come to feed from their garden.
We had field mice nesting under our decking until we removed it, we also had rats in our compost bins.
I think your only solution is to buy the small green boxes with rat poison placed in them, but it could get costly as the rats will probably keep coming, especially during the Winter months.
I think the days of the local authority ‘Rat man’ coming out, free of charge, are long gone. Unless your neighbour is hoarding rubbish, I think it’s something that you will have to deal with yourself.
Rats are a common problem nowadays I’m afraid.
We live in the countryside and have a constant battle with rats, mice, rabbits and a young deer that sleeps at the bottom of the garden and sets the dog off!

GagaJo Sat 25-Jan-20 15:07:44

Hmm. A property I own was having problems with rats attracted by a neighbour's rubbish.

I expected the neighbour to resolve the issue, which they did, but IF they hadn't I was going to environmental health. I had photographs and videos of the problem as evidence.

rafichagran Sat 25-Jan-20 14:58:44

Please can anyone give advice,
My neighbours have just built decking and I notice now some burrowing under my new 6ft wood fence. I have blocked these up and then more holes appear.
My partner was in the garden and saw a rat, something we have never had before. Do rats go to decking for warmth?
How can we get rid of this problem we have never had them before or the burrowing. If any poster has decking or just some idea what I could do I would be grateful. Is there any products I can buy that you found helps. This is my first post in the gardening section, normally I just read but alot of you seem to have alot of knowledge.