Gransnet forums

Gardening

I.ve done it!! I'vedone it!!!

(15 Posts)
M0nica Fri 13-Mar-20 16:14:17

I have cut the grass for the first time since last October. It was nearly up to my knees, but no longer. Not a beautifully smooth sward, but short.

I noticed this morning that the grass wasn't glistening with water and felt almost cuttable, so I reorganised my day so that my afternoon was free and as soon as I had had my post-prandial coffee and it hadn't started raining again, I got the mower out, adjusted the cutting blades up a bit, DH gave it its first start of the year and I was away.

The whole job took and hour and a half, but it is done and I am relaxing with a cup of tea. The smell is so glorious I feel like trying to bottle it -and selling it as a cure for corona virus-

M0nica Fri 13-Mar-20 16:14:53

Last sentence is meant to be crossed out, of course I don't

Calendargirl Fri 13-Mar-20 16:22:15

DH cut ours for first time a few days ago. Looks nice.

Callistemon Fri 13-Mar-20 17:17:03

Ours doesn't seem that long yet but we do have a nice crop of daisies.

It would be such a shame to cut them

threexnanny Fri 13-Mar-20 17:21:10

OH cut ours today too and there was a big sigh of relief that the mower started -up first time without any problems!

ninathenana Fri 13-Mar-20 17:22:39

Some would say we've been lucky here in the fact he weather has been good enough for DH to have already had calls from his "clients" for him to cut their grass over the last 2-3 wks. Not so lucky for me though. As he dosen't drive I've already been called upon to for my chauffering duties. He wouldn't usually be working this early in the season.

Tangerine Fri 13-Mar-20 17:23:21

I did mine for the first time yesterday. If it gets too long, it's hard to cut.

Congratulations M0nica! I think you deserve that cuppa.

EllanVannin Fri 13-Mar-20 17:27:57

I couldn't think of a nicer " perfume " than cut grass. It conjures up dreams of nice long summer days and walking on it in bare feet which I love as long as there are no bindi's.

CherryCezzy Fri 13-Mar-20 18:21:06

M0nica my WP (wonderful partner) cut the grass in our front garden today too, also the first time since late October smile . Ours wasn't too long. He hasn't cut the grass in our back garden yet, that garden is on a slope and with his pain issues too much for him in one day. He loves gardening! When we moved into our house 18 years ago, apart from 4ft high grass, there wasn't a single plant in it. He's spent a fortune on it since. It is a beautiful garden now though and I guess there are worse things he could have spent his money on wink so I'm okay with that. It is lovely to sit out in in the Summer, whenever that comes! Elusive perfume freshly cut grass, perfumeries have been trying to reproduce the fragrance for years apparently. If you do manage to bottle it you could make a fortune but before you do can we all have a bottle each? [Grin]

CherryCezzy Fri 13-Mar-20 18:22:47

Oops that emoji ? issue again, blush

Callistemon Sat 14-Mar-20 14:24:48

I have some unidentified plants growing up in what was supposed to be a 'flower meadow' last year. It will be interesting to see what they are.

Greyduster Sat 14-Mar-20 14:32:18

DH did ours yesterday - there’s more moss than grass. It looked a bit like a bad haircut, but when it dries out a bit more we will scarify it and then top dress it with moss killer - and probably end up with nothing resembling a lawn at all!

Callistemon Sat 14-Mar-20 14:37:47

I just found some very delicate frondy plants growing in the grass, just everywhere.

However, I think it is a type of moss!!

OurKid1 Sat 14-Mar-20 14:40:14

YAY!!!! Spring is a-springin'

BlueSapphire Sat 14-Mar-20 14:42:17

Did mine last week, and was hoping to cut the front today, but it's too wet after this morning's rain. Am just about to head off out and do an hour or so of pruning, (fortified by a glass of rose.....).