Gransnet forums

Gardening

Annuals as cut flowers, and update on gardening jobs!

(344 Posts)
Namsnanny Sat 14-Mar-20 22:17:42

I've just received my Creeping Phlox plug plants from T&M, a bit earlier than expected.
There are 60 of them in pink, red and white strip, blue, and lilac. All in good nick, so I've just spent the evening potting them up. In a day or two's time I'll put them into the conservatory which has no heat.
Then outside for a short while.
They are on the way to a raised bed, that I hope they will spread and fill.
I've never grown them before, but I am looking forward to the colour and scent in the garden!

Next I will plant some seeds, probably Cosmos, which I also haven't grown before, but I want something reliable for cutting for the house.

Anyone advise annuals for that purpose?

The year is skipping along!

CanadianGran Wed 18-Mar-20 21:04:46

Thank you for starting this post! It's still very early here; we are quite far north. Last year I planted cosmos directly in the garden and was unprepared for the size of the plant! We had to stake them and they overwhelmed the area I had planted them. I had put snapdragon beside them, but the poor dears didn't get much light because of the cosmos.

Whitewave, if you are looking for scent, I always put white nemesia in my mixed pots. They smell divine. Also sweetpeas near the walkway to the door up an obelisk.

I have never thought to grow ammi on purpose! I just see it growing wild. Have never seen the seeds available. For frothy filler in bouquets I use the greenery from astilbe, but the fennel looks lovely.

So many ideas here; thank you all! If i had to post a photo now it wouldn't win any prizes. Bulb leaves are just 4" high, with only 2 little crocuses on display and no muscari or daffodils yet. Looking forward to warm sunshine

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:25:32

Yes I planted out my sweet peas to go up an obelisk last weekend. I grew them over the winter.

Thanks for the nemesis tip canadiangran I must have a look at that.

J52 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:59:13

You must live somewhere warm WW . I don’t put them out till after the last chance of frost. Remember the beast from the East.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Mar-20 15:09:19

Oh blimey j52 I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll have to dig out the fleece. It is somewhere in the shed I think.

Here is some photos of pots

Gaunt47 Thu 19-Mar-20 16:04:07

I'm so envious of all you posters. My part of the west country has been so wet, I can't get on with my gardening. BUT (whisper it) the weather looks as though it will be dry for the next few days.....

Namsnanny Thu 19-Mar-20 17:04:11

wwave your tulips look so perfect! Are you sure you haven't poked some silk ones in the ground wink?
The narcissus look so cheerful, are they the variety that has scent?
Good reliable hyacinths mine finished a while ago.

Beautiful photos thank you!

J52 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:13:28

Lovely cheery photos.
I’ve got narcissus and hyacinths, but my tulips are very much in bud.

CanadianGran Thu 19-Mar-20 18:49:43

Beautiful photos; i'm envious! Greenery is just poking out of the ground, nothing but crocus here yet.

Namsnanny Fri 20-Mar-20 02:04:34

Yes but crocus are lovely!

Send us a photo CanadianGran, mine are over now and it rained an awful lot when they were, so I didn't get to see much of them.

J52 … my tulips are not even in bud yet, but I did plant them very late. The ones I left in the ground last year are up and in bud but, they have whittled down to about 1/3 of the amount there before.
In my experience they don't do well left in the garden. I usually just put them in pots then throw them away.
Yes it's wasteful but saves from being disappointed by the depleting numbers. smile

Greyduster Fri 20-Mar-20 07:11:31

Canadiangran I made that mistake the first year I grew cosmos, but I fell in love with them and the fact that they come up everywhere now is a bit of a bonus, especially at the back of a bed. They are the plant that keeps on giving! I am growing bedding dahlias this year because they have a long flowering season and are very easy to grow from seed. We don’t have a greenhouse now but a cold conservatory which is ideal.

Lisagran Fri 20-Mar-20 07:27:01

Some crocuses for you Namsnanny - taken last week / they’re over now

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Mar-20 07:51:38

Today I’m going to sow some larkspur for my picking garden.

I agree about tulips they never do well after the first year although I did years ago have some red ones that flowered year after year. I have planted some in the ground this year as an experiment to see how they do next year.

Too bloomin’ cold to do much else though. We are on the South Downs and get quite a lot of cold north easterlies.

J52 Fri 20-Mar-20 08:57:22

I have a lovely pot of Anemone Blanca. I’ll post a picture later, as it’s dull outside and they’ve closed up. ( still asleep)

Larkspur is a lovely flower, young plants also loved by slugs.
I might see if I can get some, on my last foray out.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Mar-20 09:14:46

Also I have sown Cleome for the cutting garden but not a sign, I might try again. Has anyone got any tips?

Lisagran Fri 20-Mar-20 10:03:15

They’re from S America Whitewavemark, so they like the warmth. I had some one year, but they had a strange smell!

shysal Fri 20-Mar-20 10:51:32

Whitewave and J52, I broadcast some Larkspur seeds last year and ended up with 2 plants! Must have been got by slugs.

Anemone Blanda do well in my tiny north facing front patch and have been joined by primroses which I didn't plant. However, they don't get the sun so don't often open fully.

Namsnanny Fri 20-Mar-20 23:57:44

Greyduster … So Cosmos seed around the garden do they?
As you say, that's a bonus. I hope they like it here and self seed in the future. Sarah Raven has garden ready plugs of Cosmos at around £15 + p&p for 15 plants!!

I didn't know you could grow Dahlias from seed. I thought they grew from tubers.
How easy is easy though?

I told you I was plant greedy, now I want to grow your Dahlias! blush

Lisagran ..Thank you, so beautiful!! and they are the colour I most like in crocus. Doesn't the central stamen contrast so beautifully with the purple? I've never put them in a vase, as you have, but the stripy ones look like a painting.

Wwave … I steer clear of slug friendly plants here, as they have always won the war in my garden. Delphiniums (Larkspur) are such striking flowers though. I shall be envious of you when you post your photos of them in the summer. smile

J52 … Looking forward to the photo.

shysal … I love your naturalised spot. The primroses look happy. I cant keep them for more than a year or two, they seem to disappear.
Glorious pots of polyanthus too.
I don't know if you're venturing out at all, but the last time I was in B&Q they were so overstocked with poly's they were selling them off at below half price! They were all looking really healthy too.
I suppose they aren't getting the footfall they expected.

Thank you for posting everyone, its great to share gardening chatter smile

Namsnanny Sat 21-Mar-20 12:16:16

Just a cheery photo whilst the sun is out!
I thought we could appreciate nature as well as our gardens!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:20:42

Arnt there some gorgeous photos?

Just come in tbh as it is a very unpleasant wind but the sun behind glass is delightful.

Just put in the second lot of gladioli for picking. Spent the time tying in the clematises and have sheared back the winter flowering one that keeps the bumbles going all winter.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:24:07

mamsnanny I used nematocides and it always works for my Delphi’s although not so good for the host as. I’m rethinking them this year

Photo of last years Delphi’s.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:24:38

My typing is pants!!

shysal Sat 21-Mar-20 15:17:33

I also put in another batch of Gladioli yesterday, but the ground was very wet and sticky. My new long handled bulb planter worked well. I think my eyes were bigger than my belly when I bought the Gladioli, I am running out of space to put them in groups in my cottage garden(ish) bed. I have added some Hollyhock and Foxglove plants too, as the self-sown seedlings that were coming on over winter have all disappeared.
I ordered just 3 blue poppy plants from Ideal World TV channel, but the order was cancelled and refunded due to 'unforseen circumstances'. However, the plants arrived yesterday with an invoice for £0.00! I have emailed customer services.
Also due to arrive from T&M in the next few weeks are plug plants of Nicotiana, Tidal Wave Petunias, large flowered and normal flowered Fuchsias, Buzy Lizzies and some pots of narrow leaved Agapanthus. I had a good show in planters on my patio last year (see pics), so am hoping for a profusion again.

Lisagran Sun 22-Mar-20 18:12:34

The fritillaries I have in a pot in the garden are just appearing - so pretty!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Mar-20 18:20:53

I think fritillary is gorgeous.

Done nothing in the garden today dont where the time has gone.

J52 Mon 23-Mar-20 10:22:47

Forgot to post my picture. It’s surprisingly busy on house arrest!