Gransnet forums

Gardening

Buttercups or geraniums?

(13 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 21-Apr-20 14:50:02

Several of my beds have lots of geraniums sprawling about and they look very pretty when they are all in bloom. But their leaves are very similar to buttercups and I struggle to know what I should be "weeding." I think the beds will just have to be buttercup friendly.

Witzend Tue 21-Apr-20 17:13:17

They’ll look lovely together, won’t they?
I love buttercups - we have patches of them in the lawn and avoid mowing that bit when they’re flowering.

vampirequeen Wed 22-Apr-20 08:51:13

Unless you absolutely hate buttercups then leave them. They'll look lovely with the geraniums and, although not good for honey bees, they're great for the buttercup bee.

TwiceAsNice Wed 22-Apr-20 09:16:23

Have both! What’s not to like .

midgey Wed 22-Apr-20 09:29:24

You have to admire buttercups, they are so efficient!!

Alexa Wed 22-Apr-20 09:52:43

I keep buttercups . I like dandelions too."The dandelion blowsily unbuttoning" some poet wrote that.

Luckygirl Wed 22-Apr-20 10:51:15

I will reprieve them! Especially as at this stage of development I have no idea which is which!

Some of the geraniums/buttercups are in my rose bed - will the buttercups strangle the roses' roots? I planted the geraniums there as I had heard they were good for deterring greenfly.

Alexa Wed 22-Apr-20 17:52:02

Your roses might be okay, Luckygirl. My roses are swamped with ivy up to two feet deep so you can't see any earth and they do very well year after year. I pour liquid fertiliser on them when they are growing fast.

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Apr-20 20:09:33

Roses have very deep roots. Buttercups don’t particularly. Geraniums will have quite good roots if they’re last year’s survivors, but most roses have at least one really deep root. They’re very robust.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Apr-20 20:12:43

Let them all grow I have all sorts that come up where they want I have a clump of forget me nots in the middle of a path at the moment It ll stay till it dies down then it can get moved

janeainsworth Wed 22-Apr-20 20:31:37

The roots of buttercups are quite different from hardly geraniums.
If you just leave the buttercups they will spread everywhere.
If you want to remove them, tease the base of the plant out with your fork. If it’s a buttercup, it will have lots of white roots radiating from the base of the plant.
If it’s a geranium, there will be a dark brown single root that runs along the ground.
If you pull up a geranium by mistake, just shove it back in the soil, or put it somewhere else in the garden. It won’t mind at all smile

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 23:55:10

What Janeainsworth says 😃
Daisy roots are buggers to pull up and they spread like wildfire.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Apr-20 00:04:16

Geraniums tend to have thick, rough roots. They don't really mind being moved if you trim back the leaves with the 'Chelsea chop'.

I like buttercups and class them as a wildflower, rather than a weed. They can spread quickly, though. Your roses won't mind a bit. I feed mine tomato food for more flowers.