Gransnet forums

Gardening

Rose cuttings - best time to take them ??

(7 Posts)
May7 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:34:38

I took rose cuttings 35 yrs ago when we moved house. It was a disaster. I'm not blessed with Green fingers at all. We have now decided to move into our forever home and theres one particular rose I have to have a cutting from. It's a climbing rose called New Dawn and it's really sentimental to me. So I've taken 4 cuttings and taken off the leaves dipped them into rooting powder and into a pot. Watered them and left them on window ledge in conservatory. Theyve been there for 2 weeks.

They are droopy and dying??
What am I doing wrong. Is it just the wrong time of year? Or am I doomed to have blue fingers

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:46:56

Too hot I think. Although I’m not sure when is the right time. But I do rose cuttings are just heeled into the ground

J52 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:31:19

As far as I know cuttings from roses are best taken when the plant is growing, so now should be fine.
Some people suggest that you put the cut stem into a raw potato and then plant it. I’ve not tried that so don’t know if it works.

Grandmafrench Tue 21-Apr-20 17:08:40

Not tried the potato trick, but we don't have roses now.
Taking rose cuttings in the early autumn when growth is still very strong has worked for me in the past. The best person to describe it, very simply and in a much clearer way than me on here is Monty Don - taking rose cuttings in the autumn on Youtube. Brilliant advice and it works.

May7 Tue 21-Apr-20 23:01:28

Thank youGrandmsmileafrench I'll look at that on Utube. I was hoping to have moved by the autumn so wanted to get this rose cutting established before then but who the hell knows when we'll be moving now

Grandmafrench Tue 21-Apr-20 23:05:39

Sorry your house move has been messed up. How awful for you. Still, doing stuff like taking cuttings of things you want to take with you are a good idea. Monty Don does autumn hardwood cuttings into a small area of ground - better use pots in your case if you are moving - then they need to be undisturbed until you have decent rose bushes by the next summer when you can plant them out (in your new garden?) . He makes it look so simple - no gardening experience necessary. Good luck - and with the move.

Nannytopsy Tue 21-Apr-20 23:11:34

RHS says take them at the Autumn pruning and put in a slit in the ground outside. That way they can root overwinter, not when they are trying to support leaves.
Good luck with your house x