Gransnet forums

Gardening

Can anyone identify this plant.

(34 Posts)
Jean321 Sun 31-May-20 15:47:47

I am not sure if this is a wild flower, it has been in our garden for years and pops up all over the place. I have tried to find in plant identifiers without any success. I would be grateful if someone could help me out.

jerseygirl Sun 31-May-20 18:09:23

Yes its a wild poppy, you see them in orange too. Very pretty though even though its a weed

Rufus2 Sun 05-Jul-20 11:17:12

Good Evening:
"Shazam for Flowers"

I've just learned that several Apps exist for identifying flowers and shrubs whereby you take a picture of whatever with your smartphone and it's identified from a huge library; similar to Shazam and tunes! Several apps exist for Apple and Android.
Has anyone tried this? Sounds like the answer to my prayers! smile

Purplepixie Sun 05-Jul-20 11:20:34

They are so beautiful and poppies, I think.

Parsley3 Sun 05-Jul-20 11:21:32

I have Welsh poppies growing wild in my garden too. They are lovely. I use an app called SEEK when I am out to identify plants, trees etc. It is easy to use. Just hold your phone over the flower and it will identify it.

Granny23 Sun 05-Jul-20 11:30:42

I have them too but have always called them Icelandic Poppies. I also have huge pink poppies like Chewbacca. I thought I had planted snowball turnips in that raised bed and was very surprised when the foliage appeared -it looked nothing like turnips, So I now have a brilliant display of Poppies, which I am told by a friend are Opium poppies!!! I am expecting the Drug Squad any day grin

Fennel Sun 05-Jul-20 12:09:14

They are everywhere here mostly the yellow ones. Lovely cheerful plants.
They re- seed freely but if you try to dig them up they have deep roots.

Auntieflo Sun 05-Jul-20 16:36:20

How lovely that all these self seeded poppies are in your gardens.
You can blow the seed heads my way.

Rufus2 Mon 06-Jul-20 11:58:37

Just hold your phone over the flower and it will identify it
Parsley3 Many thanks for that! smile Sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
Now all I've got to do is get to know how to use my new phone!
Thank you.