Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hail!

(7 Posts)
MamaCaz Sat 06-Jun-20 17:32:52

We have had a real humdinger of a storm this afternoon, and it turned into a violent hailstorm.
Rain had been forecast as possible, but I had seen/heard no mention of hail.

My courgette and patty pan plants, that were doing really well, have been shredded!
I went out in the middle of the storm to throw some covers over them, but I really don't know if they will come back from this. sad

I hope you are all faring better.

MamaCaz Sat 06-Jun-20 17:34:35

On the plus side, my garden has now, finally, had a good watering, and the butts are filling up again. smile

Namsnanny Sun 07-Jun-20 00:36:39

Gosh, we've had rain cold winds but no hail!

Popped plastic lemonade bottles over my dwarf bean plants, with a weight on top of them. Should offer some protection.

It feels cold enough to be March/April.

DanniRae Sun 07-Jun-20 06:52:52

Yes we had hail but no precious plants to be damaged - ours are all robust.
We are in South East London smile

Calendargirl Sun 07-Jun-20 07:40:28

We’ve had hail the last day or so, and very showery.
All our water butts were virtually empty, so as they filled up, I was out in the rain, bucketing water out of the ‘now’ full butts, and filling our ‘spare’ butts, i.e. empty plastic dustbins, which aren’t connected to the gutters.

Love messing about with water!

????

MamaCaz Sun 07-Jun-20 20:07:15

I do that too, Calendargirl ?

I am cautiously optimistic that my squash plants will be ok. Despite their shredded leaves they still look quite perky today.
I've given them a liquid feed to encourage them a bit, and will keep my fingers crossed.

Fennel Sun 07-Jun-20 20:28:22

No real hail yet here.
But when we wre living in SW France near the Pyrenees we often had hailstorms especially in hot summer weather.
We used to put cars under shelters and close the shutters on our windows or they would get smashed. Any fragile new fruits and veg would be ruined.
So global warming is bringing these things further north.