Gransnet forums

Gardening

Lovage...celery substitute?

(6 Posts)
Carillion01 Mon 15-Jun-20 11:35:07

My lovage herb is now over six feet tall. It's three years old.

I've never been successful at growing celery and believe lovage is a possible substitute.

The stems are so sturdy I haven't needed to stake it even though we've had unseasonal, wild winds in Brittany since the heatwave broke a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone using lovage as the substitute veg? Plus, anyone else confused as to how similar it looks to that of Angelica!?

aggie Mon 15-Jun-20 11:38:24

As far as I remember , it has a much stronger flavour , so you use it as flavouring in soups for example rather than as the main veg in the soup
MIL called it perpetual celery

Carillion01 Mon 15-Jun-20 15:47:38

Thank you aggie. I suppose as a herb it will be stronger than celery as a veg would be.

I need some celery for several recipes and here in France, shoppers tend to buy it by the odd stalk and have the couple of stalks weighed before buying. Not many buy a head of celery so it gets a bit bashed about on the market stalls with everyone pinching bits off...so I'd like to know I've something in the garden I can use.

merlotgran Mon 15-Jun-20 17:17:46

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-8123507/Jamess-treasure-islands-Scampi-lovage-mayo.html

We have lovage under some apple trees. This is a nice recipe.

grandMattie Mon 15-Jun-20 17:35:19

I’d agree that the flavour is very strong. If you need the stems for cheese, etc., I’d buy the stuff.

Carillion01 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:09:21

Thank you Merlot, going to try this recipe. Lovage is now 8’ tall and three years old.
(any news of our absent friend ...gg? I miss her)