Gransnet forums

Gardening

Ideas for north facing patio.

(8 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 26-Jun-20 13:32:39

I have a small patio at the north side of the house. At the moment it’s flagged and there’s a small border where I have blacks and red current bushes. I don’t sit out there much as I prefer the front.
The flag stones now have large gaps between them. I pull up the dandelion up. In winter the flags are green with moss.
My choice is to get a man out to fill up the gaps, or I could plant something pretty to make it look more attractive. But what? Suggestions welcome, thanks.

Smileless2012 Fri 26-Jun-20 13:39:54

You could try small, low rockery plants. They tend to be slow growing to begin with but do look pretty and if you keep them under control you, can prevent them from encroaching too much onto the flag stones.

Esspee Fri 26-Jun-20 13:43:35

Ferns come in lots of shapes and colours and are ideally suited to low light conditions. If it is colour you are looking for Bizzie Lizzie is perfect.

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-20 13:53:57

A north facing patio is to be envied in a hot summer. I would fill in the gaps in the paving go for pots of topiary and ferns.

Think quiet, still, shady calm!

shysal Fri 26-Jun-20 13:54:03

Prince Charles has a paved thyme walk. I checked on Google that it will grow in the shade, and it would smell lovely when walked on.
I agree ferns would be suitable.

merlotgran Fri 26-Jun-20 13:55:40

I agree about Bizzie Lizzies for colour. I like growing them in an old galvanised bucket but this year I couldn't get the plants. sad

J52 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:49:39

Hydrangeas do well in a North facing situation. This year my Osteospermum overwintered in a planter and are now huge. Bedding begonias also seem to love the aspect.

J52 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:51:26

Meant to add that one year I planted Mimulus, the seeds scattered and now little plants pop up between the paving. They’re lovely. Of course plants growing in cracks are not to everyone’s taste.