Gransnet forums

Gardening

I LOVE the rain!!!!!!!!

(39 Posts)
DiscoGran Sat 27-Jun-20 12:32:36

After so many hot and sticky days it is now raining steadily here and it's great. The garden is getting a good drink and a freshen up. The birds are having baths in the puddles on my patio. The forecast is for more warm weather next week, but I for one am loving the rain today.

bikergran Sun 28-Jun-20 16:33:48

Lashing down here in NW Lancs.

Filling my dads water butts up for him on his allotment and my old waste bin for my plants.

Washing all the patio and the pavements of yuk.

It rained that hard on my conservatory roof last week it washed all the bird poo off the roof from the house martins up above and cleaned all my gutters of muck smile

Callistemon Sun 28-Jun-20 15:28:36

Rufus

Or a cane toad!

Starblaze Sun 28-Jun-20 13:49:54

Snakes? Woah!

Rufus2 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:30:23

Trod on a slug once in my bare feet, never again
Starblaze We don't recommend bare feet! Treading on a Copperhead or a Red-bellied or any one of a dozen others would definitely be a case of "never again!" grin
OoRoo

Chewbacca Sun 28-Jun-20 00:05:03

You're not far from me Teacheranne and I can't believe you've not had much rain! It's been torrential all day just 12 miles away from you; thunderstorms, hail, sunshine and rainbows, all in one day. My water butt is overflowing!

Feelingmyage55 Sat 27-Jun-20 23:55:50

Yes

Teacheranne Sat 27-Jun-20 23:50:23

Some rain here today in Stockport area but not enough to soak my flower beds which are under my neighbours overhanging conifers! It needs to rain heavily for hours to reach my bushes. As I replanted some this year, I might be watering them tomorrow unless it rains a lot over night.

We did have a wonderful rainbow this evening.

Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 23:27:37

Trod on a slug once in my bare feet, never again

merlotgran Sat 27-Jun-20 23:24:47

And it's a No from me. grin

Callistemon Sat 27-Jun-20 23:21:33

No

grin

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 22:39:21

That'll be a no then....... grin

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 18:53:03

Does anyone else like to walk barefoot on freshly rained on grass? grin

Abracadabra Sat 27-Jun-20 18:44:44

MellowYellow

A rain lover!!! Hooray! I love it too, as I can't take hot days. I sit out on my patio swing seat under an umbrella with a raincoat on, very early in the morning, with bare legs. It's bonkers but beautiful. (Also, my allotment needs rain, so maybe that makes me a bit biased ha ha.)

I’d have joined you, then! I get up early to enjoy the magic of the morning before the rest of the world wakes up. I was outside very early this morning sitting under the parasol, watching the rain. Fabulous!

Bonkers but beautiful: love it

PinkCakes Sat 27-Jun-20 18:38:54

I'm glad it's cooler today, and I love the rain (although it makes my hair frizzy). I went for a walk in some woods today and managed to get home before the rain started.

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 18:35:17

I sat in the greenhouse for over an hour this afternoon and enjoyed a wonderful thunderstorm. I could actually smell the lightening at one point so it must have been very close.

MamaCaz Sat 27-Jun-20 17:46:24

Rather like the grandchildren, it is lovely to have rain for the day, but it will be lovely to see it go again too grin

That said, the fresher temperatures that came with it are very welcome to stay longer!

Callistemon Sat 27-Jun-20 17:41:31

Rufus there is no such thing as the wrong kind of weather, only the wrong kind of clothes.

However, it's not much fun having a garden party in the rain in macs, galoshes and in a howling gale.
It can't make its mind up here today, a little rain, dark clouds, blazing sun and very strong winds. A distant rumble of thunder but no storms.

I'm watching my poor sunflowers get blown around even though they're staked.

MiniMoon Sat 27-Jun-20 17:33:43

We had a thunderstorm last night. It grew so dark that the solar powered garden lamps lit up. A fledgling robin ran for cover under the bushes in the corner of the garden. The heavy rain interfered with the TV reception so I switched it off.

Afterwards, when the sun came out again, the garden smelled delicious.

I love a good thunderstorm.

Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 17:26:45

Weather says we should get a good storm just as the sun goes down!

I am so excited, going to sit out in our covered (safe) area with hot chocolate and marshmallows

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Jun-20 16:49:01

No tanith the rain did not come this far. I thought it may have done this pm but the ground is so dry- I will be watering this evening I fear.

Puzzler61 Sat 27-Jun-20 16:34:15

It’s so true Rufus.
“Cheers” to it all.
(Although I’m sorry for Grans with plans that were rained off).

Rufus2 Sat 27-Jun-20 16:26:49

It pleases me that we get such a variety of weather in the UK
Puzzler61 You might like this wise observation!

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces up, snow is exhilarating; there is no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather!"
Very calming! smile
Good Health
OoRoo

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 16:05:19

I'm delighted to see the rain even though it's put paid to our neighbourhood garden party this afternoon. I've carted my cucumber plant out of the greenhouse so that it can have a good soak. All houseplants are on the lawn and getting a good wash down and the chalk murals that the GC daubed all over the patio this week has vanished. And I can hear distant thunder..... fingers crossed for a damned good electrical storm.

felice Sat 27-Jun-20 16:04:27

Not when we are organising our first proper picnic in the garden and I cannot get the grass cut[angry ]

merlotgran Sat 27-Jun-20 15:59:08

Thank you, Nortsat. I think I'll choose to believe it. smile