Gransnet forums

Gardening

Keeping your water butt sweet!

(9 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jun-20 23:55:19

No, I've not had any visible issues either tanith. I was hoping there might be a retired microbiologist or similar on here...

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jun-20 23:53:34

Thank you everyone.

I've never thought about this till recently but did read about legionnaires disease if the water gets too warm in the barrel.
I thought I had enough going on in life without that problem it was preventable!

I wonder how the beads work shysal? And yes, charcoal is in water filters but they usually have silver in too.

tanith Tue 30-Jun-20 10:23:46

I don’t do anything to mine it’s always clear it does have a lid.

Auntieflo Tue 30-Jun-20 09:32:01

I read somewhere, sometime, that charcoal would keep water clear.
As I had some charcoal sticks, for drawing, I threw a couple in the water butt, and it is as clear as anything.

shysal Tue 30-Jun-20 09:29:19

www.harrodhorticultural.com/em-ceramic-chips-pid7955.html
I bought a bag of ceramic beads years ago and my butt water is still crystal clear!

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jun-20 08:14:58

Lucca ?

PamelaJ1 Tue 30-Jun-20 08:11:35

I’d never thought about LD in the water butts. We’ve got 4 and we always clean them out at least once a year. It will be useful to find out about the discs. So much to worry about.....

Lucca Tue 30-Jun-20 08:11:16

I missed the word water at first reading??

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jun-20 08:08:20

Has anyone used the silver discs that are commercially available to keep their water butts clear? I’ve seen them advertised but how good are they?
I’ve also heard about a seaweed product.

Would love to know what other gardeners do - as although I’m aware we should keep using the water to cycle it and scrub our butts out yearly, I’ve previously done nothing more. I’m now aware with temperatures rising the issue of preventing legionaries disease is even more important.

I’d welcome thoughts.
Thank you.