Gransnet forums

Gardening

What is this???

(7 Posts)
MellowYellow Tue 30-Jun-20 13:23:10

I acquired this with my allotment but no-one here can identify it - interesting, as there are many experienced growers here. Maybe it's hard to tell the berry bushes apart? The fruit is quite sharp tasting. It's a rogue compared to my raspberries - very thick stems and thorns.

merlotgran Tue 30-Jun-20 13:35:36

Could they be tayberries?

Marydoll Tue 30-Jun-20 13:49:08

Loganberries?

Elegran Tue 30-Jun-20 13:56:39

Possible wild raspberries, or tame ones gone wild. They grow in the woods near me. Smaller fruit than the ones in cultivation, and sharper tasting.

MellowYellow Tue 30-Jun-20 14:00:37

Thank you all. They are not pleasant to eat (but maybe they would be ok for jam?) so now you mention it Elegran I think it could be something gone wild. It was growing in a path and I nearly pulled it up.

MellowYellow Tue 30-Jun-20 14:03:24

I love what you acquire with a new allotment. I also found a plant with arrow shaped leaves, looking decidedly suspicious but I dared to nibble it and thought it must be inedible as it was bitter. Turned out to be sorrel, which I now love!

BlueBelle Tue 30-Jun-20 14:07:20

I too inherited a lot of things on my allotment strawberries raspberries gooseberries Joy berries rhubarb and an artichoke oh yes an an apple tree ??