Gransnet forums

Gardening

Leaf blowers

(13 Posts)
mokryna Wed 01-Jul-20 07:50:19

Can any recommend a leaf blower please that is on the market at the moment.

vegansrock Wed 01-Jul-20 07:52:54

What is the point of leaf blowers?

kittylester Wed 01-Jul-20 08:11:54

We use our leaf blower to blow the leaves off our gravelled front garden vefansrock, the clue is in the name. If we didnt use a leaf blower we would have to pick the leaves up individually.

Ours is green, mokryna grin

Puzzler61 Wed 01-Jul-20 08:39:16

We have one about 3 years old. DH uses it but it’s bulky,
very plastic-y and VERY noisy.
I don’t know the brand without looking - but no matter as I wouldn’t recommend it!
Go for one that says it’s lightweight and quite quiet.

mokryna Wed 01-Jul-20 08:58:54

Vegansrock
I live in a small block of 6 flats with trees in the garden. We don’t have agents but manage ourselves. We have a gardener who uses a noisy petrol machine which some complain about. I thought that we buy a quieter one, that’s why I am asking.

mokryna Wed 01-Jul-20 09:02:30

Kiittylester
Could you give me more details please about green Thank you

Fennel Wed 01-Jul-20 12:03:32

You can get a leaf-sucker vacuum-type machine which does the same job but needs emptying. Lots of models.
Because of its position our front garden gets all the dead leaves in our small close and it's a big problem.
www.bobvila.com/articles/best-leaf-vacuum/

Abracadabra Wed 01-Jul-20 12:29:20

When I saw the heading, I thought it was going to be a discussion about the din they make and how we hate them!
Glad to hear there’s quiet / alternative models

Wheniwasyourage Wed 01-Jul-20 12:36:21

Ours is a Bosch ALB36LI, which is has a rechargeable battery, is not too heavy or noisy and is ideal for getting leaves off a gravelled drive. I rake them off the grass, but if you do that on gravel, you rake the gravel too.

It's about 2 years old and I don't know if the same model is still on the market, but I would recommend the make.

Septimia Wed 01-Jul-20 15:29:50

The council use leafblowers around here to clear leaves and cut grass off the pavements. Trouble is that they take the tarmac off, too.

I can see that they could be useful on gravel as long as they aren't so powerful as to blow the gravel around (ouch!!).

Fennel Wed 01-Jul-20 16:34:09

Our council uses leafblowers too but the leaves still end up somewhere ie our front garden. angry

Wheniwasyourage Fri 03-Jul-20 11:03:27

Septimia, the industrial type of blower used by councils probably would lift the gravel too, but our battery-operated one is very good at separating the leaves from the gravel and depositing them on the lawn, from where they can be transported to the leaf-baskets.

Our council doesn't blow leaves off the pavements, but the prevailing wind does an excellent job of making sure that we get more than our fair share in the garden and usually on the gravel. Still, it gives us good mulch for keeping the weeds down in future years (I'm being optimistic here) and there's a lot of exercise involved in moving them into baskets. smile

Fennel Fri 03-Jul-20 11:54:14

We end up having to clear the leaves ourselves and put them in the council bin for garden waste. which we pay for.
But shouldn't complain - they do regularly cut the grass even though many of the houses in the Close are privately owned.