Gransnet forums

Gardening

They're really big, but.......

(13 Posts)
phoenix Fri 10-Jul-20 12:16:54

Had a bit of a disaster at the weekend.

Very strong winds Saturday night, Sunday morning found pots, plants and all blown over sad huge pots, but still not enough to withstand the wind.

2 had broken, but hopefully the others will make it.

Now over 6ft tall, still no flowers!

Auntieflo Sat 04-Jul-20 19:26:31

I was given a tiny sunflower seedling, by a church buddy, and I have cosseted it. When it looked strong enough, I transplanted it into a bigger pot. The it was put outside, and it still looked to be doing well.
Now it has stopped growing, and is home to many ants. There is a small bud, but I was hoping for something huge.
Maybe it is a dwarf variety, but if it flowers, that will be a bonus.

grannylyn65 Fri 03-Jul-20 23:11:24

hmm

Chewbacca Fri 03-Jul-20 22:22:59

Mine have all been eaten by something

Probably slugs BlueBelle; they just love sunflowers. My DS grew a row of 3 sunflowers up against a stone garden wall one year and they got to about 6 feet. He got up one morning and they looked like 3 bamboo canes; not a leaf in sight.

Chewbacca Fri 03-Jul-20 22:20:49

No flowers are due for another month or so Phoenix! Mine are also on their 2nd cane extensiin and no sign of flower heads forming yet, but they'll come eventually. Gardening is all about patience says she who inspects the tomato plants hourly for signs of fruit!

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Jul-20 21:38:42

(I mean the seed packets which have smiley faces on that is, the ones especially easy to grow!)

phoenix Fri 03-Jul-20 21:38:32

Thanks all!

I'm pretty chuffed, it's the first time I've grown anything from seed in more than 20 years!

I planted 9 (I think) seeds, and 7 germinated.

Suppose you are only supposed to plant on the strongest ones, but I decided to give them all a chance.

The stalks on some of them are thicker than my thumb shock

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Jul-20 21:37:23

Only two of mine germinated and they were puny little things so ended up on the compost heap. I can’t grow sunflowers, not even the ones which have smiley faces on for children. The only ones which grow in my garden are the ones the birds plant.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jul-20 21:27:14

Mine have all been eaten by something

MiniMoon Fri 03-Jul-20 21:15:24

You'll probably have to wait until the end of July/beginning of Ausust forcany flowers phoenix. ??

phoenix Fri 03-Jul-20 20:42:23

Thanks midgey! Not a quality I'm known for! blush

So, how long have I got to be patient for?

midgey Fri 03-Jul-20 20:39:04

You need to be patient!

phoenix Fri 03-Jul-20 20:19:56

Hello all, hope you are well.

My sunflowers, that I started off from seed, in tiny little pots on the kitchen windowsill have done well smile

I planted them out in 2 pretty big pots, ( 2 in one, 5 in another) have been watering them daily and feeding once a week.

They are now huge! (well, taller than me!) and Mr P has taped some extension canes on for the ones that had exceeded the ones they were planted with, but no sign of any flowers? confused

Am I doing something wrong?