Gransnet forums

Gardening

Parsley

(27 Posts)
Fennel Fri 24-Jul-20 15:42:48

Over a year ago I bought a small parsley plant from Tesco, planted it in the garden and it grew first rate. I've had loads of cuttings off it for kitchen use.
Now it has started to ''bolt' - go to seed. And patches fading off.
I'll keep using it but wonder what to do in the autumn.
If I cut it right back will it re-grow next spring or
should I leave the seeding shoots to spread?
I do love parsley and this plant seems to like where it lives.
I also planted a mint and a basil plant but they seem to have disappeared.

Nannarose Fri 24-Jul-20 15:49:01

I am no gardener, but I have always grown herbs.
Parsley plants last 2 years. I always have a few on the go, but make sure that I plant some every year (and yes, those cheap supermarket ones do often grow well).
About now, the older ones go 'off'. I harvest & freeze what I can (frozen parsley is fine in stuffing, and stalks go for stock) then chuck the remains in the compost.
Basil is temperamental, really suited to a warmer climate, I grow some in a pot to enjoy if it thrives, but it doesn't always.
But mint? Just get some more!

kircubbin2000 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:54:45

Cut it back or it will make seeds. It should grow back.

kittylester Fri 24-Jul-20 16:29:19

Mint? More like how to stop the flipping stuff.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 16:55:38

I think it is biennial, Fennel.
Mine has done the same, it was fine for two years but has gone to seed now.
I should have planted fresh this year.

And chives? Why won't they grow in a pot when they thrive in the paving cracks?

Esspee Fri 24-Jul-20 16:55:50

I usually cut back the flower stems and start off a new plant to take over should it fail.
Parsley, thyme, sage and coriander all need good regular garden soil and moderate watering (coriander is prone to bolting), rosemary likes drier soil so dig in some fine grit to help drainage, basil likes loads of water and mint, marjoram and oregano should be kept in large pots of regular soil as they quickly become invasive.
Using supermarket potted herbs is a great way to save money.

Fennel Fri 24-Jul-20 18:55:37

Thanks all - I didn't really expect the basil to survive as I know it likes a warmer climate. But was surprised to lose the mint, which I don't think is a biennial?
I would love a rosemary bush but didn't plant that because I thought it needs a warm dry climate. And a certain type of soil.

Fennel Fri 24-Jul-20 19:02:33

ps we live on Tyneside now and the climate and soil are so different from our last garden in SW France. Where we had solid clay soil which is very fertile.
The soil here is nearly black but many flowers and veg. etc flourish in it.

MrsEggy Fri 24-Jul-20 19:02:47

Rosemary grows well here in the Midlands (not warm and dry!) but we have very sandy well-draining soil, and it flowers very early when nothing else is out.

Esspee Fri 24-Jul-20 19:07:01

The basil will only survive in summer here if kept constantly watered.
Rosemary is similar to lavender and survives even here in Scotland.
Mint is usually difficult to kill, quite the contrary, it spreads like crazy.

Chewbacca Fri 24-Jul-20 19:13:30

I bought a herb planter last year that's divided into 6 sections; one for each herb. The chives, mint, rosemary and oregano have done very well but the parsley and basil never did well and after a couple of tries, I've given up on those now.

varian Fri 24-Jul-20 19:15:02

I much prefer flat leafed parsley which has a stronger flavour than curly. Ours is doing very well and I use some almost every day.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jul-20 19:19:32

It isn’t too late if you get a move on to sow parsley for your winter supplies.

Parsley shouldn’t be allowed to dry out it doesn’t mind a bit of shade.

Fennel Fri 24-Jul-20 19:21:41

MrsEggy - maybe there are different varities of rosemary adapted to different growing conditions.
I'll have to try to find one that will grow here. Apart from using it in cooking I find its perfume very calming. Like lavendar.

Fennel Fri 24-Jul-20 19:27:14

ps and @Esspee
same message about rosemary.
So interesting -I always thought that lavendar, rosemary, santolina etc are plants which only thrive in a Med. climate.

varian Fri 24-Jul-20 19:39:25

Lavender and rosemary both thrive in our garden. They don't seem to mind whether it's wet or dry.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 19:46:50

Fennel

Thanks all - I didn't really expect the basil to survive as I know it likes a warmer climate. But was surprised to lose the mint, which I don't think is a biennial?
I would love a rosemary bush but didn't plant that because I thought it needs a warm dry climate. And a certain type of soil.

The mint may well come up again next year. Mine looks a bit sad now.

Our lavender is doing well; we have very poor soil and the bees are enjoying it at the moment. The rosemary looks ok, rescued from Tesco a couple of years ago and the oregano is invasive as Esspee says. It is growing in the lawn, the rose bed, the other herb pots. Everywhere!

Rosemary thrives in a strong woman's garden. Apparently.

Chewbacca Fri 24-Jul-20 19:57:39

Rosemary thrives in a strong woman's garden. Apparently.

Drat! Maybe that's why only mint and chives are thriving in mine!

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 20:01:48

Mine are ok.
Just
Holding on

grandtanteJE65 Wed 29-Jul-20 11:28:39

If you want mint in the garden, plant it in a piece of plastic drain-pipe buried in the soil.

I do the same with horse-raddish and other herbs that spread like wild-fire.

kircubbin2000 Wed 29-Jul-20 13:24:35

Tear some rosemary off a bush next time you see it.It will soon root and can be kept in a pot.

Farmor15 Wed 29-Jul-20 16:58:51

If you let the parsley go to seed, the seeds may germinate where they fall, if they like the conditions. I’ve got new plants that way, but will also buy a new supermarket pot every year. I separate the individual plants in pot and have lots of parsley.

Mint is easy to grow but likes room to spread. Some people recommend keeping it confined, like grandtante suggests, but I found it would die off after a while in those conditions.

Callistemon Wed 29-Jul-20 17:16:25

I've given the seed heads a shake in the hope, Farmor

janeainsworth Wed 29-Jul-20 19:32:18

I just cut the flowering heads off the parsley plant & it continues to grow from the base of the plant.
Mine was from a supermarket pot & it’s lived for several years.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 29-Jul-20 19:50:07

Flat leaf Parsley bought from Tesco some years ago is in a bucket and grows back each year, Rosemary plants go mad in the garden, I just break a sprig off stick it in the ground and there we have another plant to give away.
Have never been successful with Lavender though, mint is everywhere, I’m trying to get it to smother the ground elder.
I’ve planted some outdoor Basil, not sure if it will survive the Winter though.