Gransnet forums

Gardening

Can you recommend a cordless battery lawnmower?

(12 Posts)
Grammaretto Sat 05-Sep-20 16:45:42

I have wasted hours trying to decide by reading reviews etc whether or not to splash out on a cordless battery machine.

My petrol mower is too big and heavy for me nowadays and I like the idea of being more environmentally friendly.
Before spending out a fortune I thought to ask you!

One of the things putting me off, besides the price, is the battery time. I have a cordless hoover (Dyson) whose battery runs out in 20 minutes and takes 3 hours to charge.

Some of the mowers only keep going 15 mins between battery changes according to the reviews..

I have had flymos with a cord in the past but by the time I've dragged the extension lead to the end of the grass, the rain has come on. We have a big garden.

SuzannahM Sat 05-Sep-20 17:11:40

I have a Ryobi battery operated mower and love it. Has four wheels to roll it down to the lawn, seems to cut quite well on longish grass and is very lightweight for pushing. You have to buy the battery and charger as well, but I have those for my sanders and strimmer so not an extra cost for me.

The only problem I sometimes have is releasing the battery, as my hands are quite small.

Grammaretto Sat 05-Sep-20 17:28:02

Thanks SuzannahM for your post. I had a quick look at them online and one thing it says is that they are quite small so good for a small or medium lawn which ours definitely is not.
I do like that it's a hybrid and can switch to mains electricity if the battery runs out. You love it so that is very much in its favour!

granny'sbuttons Sat 05-Sep-20 17:31:59

I have a Mountfield and it is excellent. It came with 2 batteries and a charger, is light and manoeuvrable.

SuzannahM Sat 05-Sep-20 17:34:49

There are a number of different ones now - we have quite a small one I think, but neither of our grass areas is that big.

It's not a hybrid though, battery only, but it lasts long enough to do both lawns. We bought ours at Homebase in a sale, with a strimmer thrown in, so it's worth shopping around whatever you buy.

We've had ours about five years, never any problems with it so far.

Grammaretto Sat 05-Sep-20 18:32:49

I have heard good things about the Mountfield too. granny'sbuttons thanks.

NanTheWiser Sat 05-Sep-20 18:34:15

I bought a Bosch Rotak about 3 years ago, Grammaretto and have been very pleased with it (my lawn is average sized). It gives a beautiful cut, even though the lawn is a bit uneven. I think the battery charge lasts about 40 minutes, but it only takes 10 minutes to do the lawn.
They are quite expensive, but so much easier than petrol or electric with trailing cables.

Grammaretto Sat 05-Sep-20 18:42:17

NanTheWiser Which recommend the Bosch Rotak . It's a best buy for larger gardens but before I spend a small fortune, I thought I'd ask on here.

They are in short supply perhaps due to increased demand and import rules because of covid or brexit or both!

Davida1968 Sat 05-Sep-20 18:57:45

DH recently purchased a Spear & Jackson cordless mower (this was on offer at Argos, with a cordless strimmer) and he's pleased with both. Says he'll never go back to "corded"!

Davida1968 Sat 05-Sep-20 18:58:43

Maybe not the best for a big garden, though?

Patsy70 Sat 12-Sep-20 21:45:46

I bought a Bosch lithium battery operated mower about 3 years ago now and would definitely recommend it. It is lightweight and easy to manoeuvre. It comes with one battery, which I haven't needed to replace.

SpringyChicken Sat 12-Sep-20 22:48:06

We have a Bosch Rotak, husband loves it. It cuts well. It'll mow both lawns (back lawn is about 30ft x 18ft max, front lawn about 10ft x 10ft) on one battery charge, leaves nice stripes.