Gransnet forums

Gardening

I am not gardening next year! ??‍♀️

(33 Posts)
SueDonim Thu 24-Sep-20 17:10:05

Aw, these are sad tales of woe! I’m sorry your efforts came to little but I admire your sense of humour. ❤️

Anveran Thu 24-Sep-20 17:07:59

Rose and dahlia flowers eaten by squirrels.
Osteospermum and geranium eaten by caterpillars.
Me eaten by mosquitos.
Ill probably be back out there again next year though !!!

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 16:59:42

Peppers didnt grow
I got some peppers but they went soft.
Goodness knows why I persevere with peppers.

MaizieD Thu 24-Sep-20 16:59:27

I've planted three lots of carrots in different places, 2 lots were eaten when just beginning to make good leafy plants, the others were scrabbled up by, I suspect, a neighbouring cat when the seedlings started poking their heads through the soil.

2 sowings of peas were eaten by something

No seeds of large tomatoes germinated, (the cherry ones did, and they've been fine)

Planted out some nice healthy cabbage seedlings, 3 days later they were just stalks - I suspect pigeons..

Leek seeds mostly failed to germinate, seedlings that did come through were demolished by slugs/snails

Elephant garlic went to seed..

Radishes remain resolutely thin then go to seed..

Had a bitter courgette plant

Isn't gardening fun grin

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 16:58:21

Everyone I speak to seems to have had tomatoes problems this year. A hot spell followed by a cold spell didnt do them any good at all.

However, everything else seems fine and we've had loads of beans, too many cucumbers etc.
?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 24-Sep-20 16:44:55

I’m just about to pull up some Chinese cabbage which has been ravaged by caterpillars, I failed to put up the protection before the butterflies did their bit.

You win some you lose some

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 24-Sep-20 16:32:50

We bought a small Polytunnel, spent a fortune on soil and seeds, tomatoes were amazing until one day they all fell over covered in big brown blotches, nothing else grew larger than 3 inches until I planted them outdoors.
Only had about 6 runner beans
About 20 carrots
And about 40 small potatoes
8 pea pods
Plenty of lettuce though and a couple of courgettes.
Peppers didnt grow
Ditto Leeks
Ditto spring onions

Bearing in mind I had to water most days morning , noon and evening, it wasn’t worth the hassle.
However, it was lockdown and gave me something to do and the wild rabbits loved it all.

Bluebellwould Thu 24-Sep-20 16:23:20

I am not new to gardening but new to this garden.
I planted 8 tomato plants of various types, got 4 red tomatoes, all the other hundred are green.
Planted new honeysuckle and it got powdery mildew, off the resident eleagnus which is covered in it. The honeysuckle was on the opposite side of my, admittedly small garden, and other plants like a phlox are covered in it too.
I planted 4 packets of sweet peas, all supposedly scented. Four plants only grew and they were all white and no fragrance but as I only got four flowers altogether it doesn’t matter.
Planted fine french beans x 3 varieties got two plants both black beans. Had maybe a kilo of beans altogether, which were delicious, but they are now smothered in black fly!
The only really nice flowers were on the ipomea but again planted three colours and only the red ones flowered, and that was at the end of August.
So I give up!
Next year I’m going to throw down a load of prairie flower seeds and leave them to it.
Oh and plus there’s no worms in my soil!
Hope you all have had better luck.