Gransnet forums

Gardening

invasive plant roots.

(27 Posts)
craftyone Mon 28-Sep-20 16:10:23

Next door has a rampant passiflora along my fence, thats ok but the roots are invading my garden under the old stone wall that has no foundations. I saw several new plants popping up all over and have just dug some roots out, they are sturdy, white and one was over 3m long travelling in a horizontal direction, they are going to be a terrible nuisance in my new potager garden

I have though long and hard and decided to get some rootex root barrier, which of course means digging a parallel trench. To do so I have had to remove all my plants along that wall and some already had entangled white passiflora roots, ready to spring into action.

A plea to people, please research what you decide to plant along a neighbouring wall or fence. I am stuck with her problem plant and it has cost me 12 good plants and almost £90 for the barrier plus endless hours of work to dig deep enough in this very rocky ground

craftyone Sat 31-Oct-20 05:19:10

I have strong glyphosate handy, any runner of passionflower that I see will be allowed to grow for a few weeks and then it will be zapped, it will at that stage be able to send the glyphosate back along the runner. Right now the 6" soil gap between wall and barrier is just soil with a few germinated weeds that I will hoe soon. . I am not going to put a medley of plants on the ground next year, I need to be able to see what springs up. Luckily the passionflower is distinctive

cuso4 will kill the root tips and will be put into the soil strip from time to time